News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Will need new tyres soon

Started by gf, 25 March 2016, 04:13 AM

w116john

hi
i had nankang cx668?? on mine and they were fine initially but got slippy when the wore down, and i didn't trust them  but they do have a good rating. not a lot of options in that size though, i got four falken ziex? which are much stiffer and appear to have more grip in the wet, possibly because they are new.

i think there is a psychological impact to new tyres and new are always better than old

ptashek

If you want choice, the only viable option is to bite the bullet and go 15" Fuchs/ATS/ARC or maybe 16" Pentas.  Yes, it'll cost, but if you use the car reasonably often, it's a very good investment. Fourteen inch tires  these days seem to exist in a niche market nobody, sadly, cares about anymore.

I wouldn't trade my 15" Dunlop Sports for a set of Michelin XWXs, and it still cost me less to get five of those *with* ATS rims. A no brainer, budget permitting.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

gf

Ptashek, that sounds like something I will have to investigate before I get the next set, seemingly every few years there is less and less avaliable in 14 inch. do the 14 and 15 inch rims bolt on without need for modification?

ptashek

Quote from: gf on 20 April 2016, 02:22 PM
Ptashek, that sounds like something I will have to investigate before I get the next set, seemingly every few years there is less and less avaliable in 14 inch. do the 14 and 15 inch rims bolt on without need for modification?

Yes, they're a straight swap - or at least the ATS rims I have are.
They come as 7Jx15 ET23, and are marginally heavier than the Fuchs  fourteens. Visually, you really need to know the small differences between Fuchs and the rest to notice.

A set of five ATS rims  in great condition can be had for around €1100 in Europe, plus shpping. High-end tyres can be had for under €500 per set. I'd need to double check, but I think the Dunlop Sport ones I've got were ~€90 each, shipping included.

And tyre options are plentiful in the 205/65/15 size:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Search/Size/205-65-15/Order/Rating
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE