News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Why Sheep skin seat covers?

Started by Tony66_au, 04 July 2012, 10:03 PM

Tony66_au

Quote from: Raptelan on 04 July 2012, 04:48 AM
Why do you guys get sheepskins in every other W116 but I can't find a single set here?

Simple

We had A LOT of sheep here in the 60's, 70's and early 80's......

And Sheep sales prices are comprised of carcass weight (Meat) and skin value to the stage where sheep have to have been shorn (Shaved or clipped) recently to be saleable at Market.

Even the skins of my sheep which are shedding variety (No wool) South Afrikaans Dorpers hold a premium in the market for leather.

And that.... Is why we have so many sheepskin seatcovers, and our children all lay on lambskin's in their cots and beds and we use it in clothing and bedding a fair bit.

At one stage when the wool market took a huge hit we were even using it as insulation for new homes as it is a great fire retardant and the Lanolin from wool goes into cosmetics like sorbolene and is used as a high grade lubricant similar to WD40/RP7 called Inox.

Australia was said to have been made great on the backs of sheep which conjures up some interesting mental pictures but is actually fairly true, Even today the sheep meat export trade figures largely in our economy and with high numbers being butchered you have to find something to do with the bits left over.

WGB

A good sheepskin cover is very durable and very comfortable to sit on in both the hot and the cold weather and protects the original seating surfaces excellently.

I am sure they will do mail order to the States if you want a little bit of Dinky Di ;D

Bill

philpot

We are also the closest nation to New Zealand which accepts assylum seekers ...

albe

They are like fish and chip's ,sheepskins and Merc's  They just go together
And they look good and are practical

Casey

Quote from: albe on 09 July 2012, 06:25 AM
They are like fish and chip's ,sheepskins and Merc's  They just go together
And they look good and are practical

I agree completely, I'm just upset that I can't seem to find any here.  I didn't title my question as this thread ended up being...

Are there any reputable places either in or that would ship to the USA that still make custom-tailored skins for W116's?  I'd want a full & proper set, 100% real (none of that synthetic nonsense), with coverings for front and back seats, all four headrests and both armrests, as pictured above.

I've never seen them dyed though - I thought it would be most interesting to have them color-matched to the interior color of the car.  Natural looks great with bamboo, but what about red or green? :D

"The use of sheepskin seat covers in moving vehicles dates back centuries, perhaps as long ago as the Bronze Age, when wagons and carriages were first used. As long as primitive wagons and more elaborate carriages have existed, people living near sheep have been draping the animals' pelts over their seats to offer comfort and warmth."

"The more sophisticated, tailor-made sheepskin car seat covers of our era have been popular in Europe for decades, and they grew in great popularity in the United States in the mid '70s. Tailor-made sheepskin seat covers are considered a luxury item and are most popular with high-end luxury sports car drivers."

"Soft and plush, sheepskin car seat covers are said to relieve pressure points in the neck, back, and legs while driving, and also protect automobile seats from wear and tear. The woollen fleece is flame and static resistant, helping to prevent a build up of static electricity that synthetic covers often produce. Sheepskin is also a natural insulator, and draws perspiration away from the driver and passengers' skins and into the fibers.[1] There, it traps between 30 and 36 percent of its own weight in moisture."

It's been quite hot out lately.  I like heat.  Unless it is exceptionally humid and I'm not driving at a decent speed, I prefer opening the sunroof and all the windows to using the air conditioning.  However, sitting on MB-Tex is getting really old fast, as I end up sweaty against the seat.

albe

Let me know what you want to spend and I will look into it for you . green on green would be nice but red not sure what color would suit . For a full new set I think you will need to spend around $2,000 aus but second hand if they can be found is another ball game .Plus you would need to die them and that is not easy. just pm me or post here again .Albe

Casey

Quote from: albe on 11 July 2012, 02:32 AM
Let me know what you want to spend and I will look into it for you . green on green would be nice but red not sure what color would suit . For a full new set I think you will need to spend around $2,000 aus but second hand if they can be found is another ball game .Plus you would need to die them and that is not easy. just pm me or post here again .Albe

I reckon $2000 sounds reasonable for a quality set.  Would prefer new and for them to be professionally dyed, though http://www.ehow.com/how_6937373_dye-sheepskin.html makes it sound easy to DIY.  Would be looking for a red set first, but will be a little while before I have money for it so no hurry...would be cool to get something lined up though!

albe

Cool will look into it and get back to you ,red in color full new set .Don't see many seat cover in red so don't know what I will find but I will let you know price's and color's as I find out Raptelan .

Tony66_au

Good sheepskin covers are actually Lambswool (Lambskins) inserts with sheepskin (Adult) making up the sides and back of the cover.

Headrests and armrests will be a mixture as well and I was surprised at the quality of the front seat set I have.

Don't muck about trying to colour the skins yourself unless you have done it before, Not only is the process specific but wet sheepskins weigh a fair bit and to do a car lot you'd need something the size an old clawfoot bath.

Besides that you can order them in a number of colours to suit.

Casey

Quote from: Tony66_au on 11 July 2012, 03:00 AM
Good sheepskin covers are actually Lambswool (Lambskins) inserts with sheepskin (Adult) making up the sides and back of the cover.
That's exactly what I want!  The ones I've seen available here are synthetic on the sides and back. :(

Tony66_au

Spoke to a mate who exports skins, he suggested this mob...

http://ussheepskin.com/seatcovers.html

albe

Here are some more site you might try looking at ;
www.woollen-products.com.au/index.php/Contact-Us/Eric-MacBeth.html

www.sheepskin-seat-covers.com

No luck looking for second hand .

Casey

Quote from: albe on 12 July 2012, 06:48 AM
www.sheepskin-seat-covers.com
I talked to this place, unfortunately:

"I'm sorry but we do not do rear seats and do not have red.  You may be interested in finding another dealer that can meet these requirements.  Thank you and take care."

$559 for a tailor-made set of front seat covers for a W116, though, which seems quite reasonable.

No luck looking for second hand .

Wouldn't mind any color for second hand if the price is right. :)

I'll E-mail the place in Australia next...the pictures on their site look quite hopeful.  I'm just hoping they can do the right color and ship to the USA.

Tony66_au

Dont bother trying to dye them yourself BTW as they are difficult to get an even colour in a DIY situation.

Casey

Quote from: Tony66_au on 14 July 2012, 07:28 AM
Dont bother trying to dye them yourself BTW as they are difficult to get an even colour in a DIY situation.
Well, I'm hoping to find a place that can both tailor the covers and dye them bright red (like W116 interior red, not burgundy).  If I can't do that, my second preference would be to find a place that would professionally dye undyed covers after they are made.  Failing that, I'd probably just be content with undyed covers.