News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Why Sheep skin seat covers?

Started by Tony66_au, 04 July 2012, 10:03 PM

djetronicista

I know of a place in PA that sells them at reasonable prices just have to look for business card they also sell leathers and sheepskin bomber jackets let me know and I will look for the Phone number.
Quote from: Raptelan on 14 July 2012, 10:09 AM
Quote from: Tony66_au on 14 July 2012, 07:28 AM
Dont bother trying to dye them yourself BTW as they are difficult to get an even colour in a DIY situation.
Well, I'm hoping to find a place that can both tailor the covers and dye them bright red (like W116 interior red, not burgundy).  If I can't do that, my second preference would be to find a place that would professionally dye undyed covers after they are made.  Failing that, I'd probably just be content with undyed covers.
73 mbz 450 SE
78 XJ12 (6ltr from 94)
53 Desoto

Casey

Quote from: djetronicista on 14 July 2012, 11:01 AM
I know of a place in PA that sells them at reasonable prices just have to look for business card they also sell leathers and sheepskin bomber jackets let me know and I will look for the Phone number.
If you can find it that would be stellar!

Tony66_au

google it, I found a few in the US that do Sheepskin work using all fleece on seat covers

Casey

Heard back from woollen-products.com.au:

"We have the Seat Patterns for your 450 SEL Mercedes.

Cost of RED 25mm SHEEPSKINS SEAT COVERS as follows:

FRONT         $795.00 Pair       

REAR            $1100.00

Prices include separate HEAD REST COVERS AND ARM REST COVERS.

7 YEAR WARRANTY applies and money back guarantee they will fit.

Prices are quoted in Australian Dollars

Postage is extra

Our Seat Covers are made here by us using Australian Merino Sheepskins."

This sounds good, anybody have direct experience with them?

I found a 450SL with cheap sheepskins in a junkyard yesterday. Cheap as in generic, not for the car...the PO had to punch holes for the headrest which had no cover. Held on with elastic straps (no longer elastic), and synthetic on the sides and back.  They were muddy and moldy and the passenger one was shedding hair. But for only $5, I bought the driver one, gave it a real good bath (wow, was it dirty!), and it's on the line drying now. I cut off all the old straps; will figure out how to fit it once it's dry. Just something to get by.

Tony66_au

Youd want to add 5% for currency exchange as our Dollar is floating higher than the US $ just in case and possibly banking fee's from your end unless you use paypal or a credit card.

Amex and Diners can also attract fee's.

Sheep skin is best warm washed in a bath with wool mix.

And if the skin is shedding hair then the skin is rotten or incorrectly cured OR the hair has dried out from neglect.

Good luck!

Casey

Quote from: Tony66_au on 15 July 2012, 08:58 PM
And if the skin is shedding hair then the skin is rotten or incorrectly cured OR the hair has dried out from neglect.

It was rotten.  Both seats had been exposed to water for unknown length of time.  But the driver one was reasonably okay, only the lining underneath was rotted.  I saw a rabbitskin coat at a secondhand store today for $50.  I thought about using it to make coverings for other things, but couldn't think of what, so I didn't. :P

It'll be a little while before I am able to order the sheepskins from Australia, but that is my plan. :)

I'll probably buy them before buying new seat skins.

djetronicista

Ok, took me awhile to find but here it is, They have a website now :  shartlesvillesheepskin.com
They are off I-78 x 23 dont know how far that is from you probably close by been there before just dont like to hide my interior but first rate stuff check out their page, Cheers (they are in the Pennsylvania Dutch area)
73 mbz 450 SE
78 XJ12 (6ltr from 94)
53 Desoto

Casey

Quote from: djetronicista on 16 July 2012, 02:34 AM
Ok, took me awhile to find but here it is, They have a website now :  shartlesvillesheepskin.com
They are off I-78 x 23 dont know how far that is from you probably close by been there before just dont like to hide my interior but first rate stuff check out their page, Cheers (they are in the Pennsylvania Dutch area)

Cool I'll check them out in person at some point.  I think the Australian place is the ticket for the car, but I need a good warm coat. :)

caleboar

I've really enjoyed the look and feel of my sheepskins that I ordered from ShearComfort.com.

Great prices and a lot of colors to choose from. Australian Merino wool.

oversize

I really love sheepskins, but you have to be careful when selecting suppliers.  There's nothing worse than finding seams that apparently would be 'invisible' and pulling them off to find a patchwork quilt of smaller skins sewn together!!!

Never mix real hide with synthetic because you'll be disappointed (even if it's in areas you unlikely to see).

They can get badly sun effected where dark colours will fade and light colours will go dark.  My skins started off black, but have gone blue in some places.  Not happy Jan!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Casey

Well I'm sad to report that the Australian supplier quoted above cannot supply red - he said that theres not enough demand so the only way he can get red from the tannery is to order a minimum of 100 skins.  Bummer.

He sent me samples of natural ("bone") and burgundy.  I don't think the burgundy looks right against red and while the undyed fur actually feels a little softer and nice, I'd really rather have red.  I'm full of sadfaces.  :'(

(p.s. I quite like the GAHH leather sample - their diamond pattern is actually perforated like the original skins, versus World Upholstery who just does an indentation rather than perforation)

Tony66_au

Burgundy looks pretty good against the red actually and considering the size of the seats the acreage of fleece will fit in well in that colour and interior.

oversize

I agree; I love burgundy!   :)  Either that or source someone locally who can custom die the bone set and guarantee their work....
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Casey

I like burgundy fine, but against the red it's too purple and dark - I'm worried it would mess up the look of the otherwise bright red interior.

The undyed bone piece is remarkably soft while the dyed burgundy piece is a bit stiffer and scratchier.  So I'm reconsidering the idea of just getting an undyed set.

In any case, it won't be happening any time soon - I'm financially burdened at the moment with moving into a different house and paying overlapping leases for a while.

dima

Do beige cloak, they are more advantageous to look with the red, and will support the theme of the ceiling (it beige) with its red frame. purple as the color of the sample will be the third in the composition, which in principle should not prevent