News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Which Colour for W116 ?????

Started by ESO, 20 February 2007, 11:30 AM

ESO

Dear members here,

I have finally got my W116 (280S) back in rather good running order. Now, the next thing that I always wanted to do is to get the minor rust body panel repair, follow by a new paint job. I got some estimation for total around USD3,000-4,000. It's quite a lot of money for such job, so I need to be carful for what I am going to spend.

The original paint on the car is now code 172 which is the brownish grey. NOW, the trouble is I always wanted a 70s Mercedes-Benz bright blue 116, from your point, if I go ahead with this rather complete new paint job which will of course include the engine bay, etc.

SHALL I change the colour as well to blue which I most prefer or shall I keep the original colour which I do also like (but only 2nd choice)?

Thank you

ERIC

Nutz

It's really up to you what color you want it. It's your car,you have to repair it and you have to drive it ,so keep that in mind  ;)

Mforcer

I must admit I would like the brown(-grey) colour... very period :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

ESO

Thanks guys, I really was wondering if the change of colour will effect much regarding its value and I think Nutz was right, I should pick the colour I really like.

The brown / grey is nice too but not 70s enough.

Thx

bahnstormer109

I like period colours like greys, and browns and oranges.

my 109 is "Beige-Grey" it was originally owned in the outback, where i imagine cars would get very dusty. i think they chose this colour as it doesnt show up the dust.

if youve ever looked parallel across the top of a dark coloured car when its dusty and seen the beige film of dust coating it, youll know what i mean. my car is virtually the same colour as the dust so it doesnt show. 

people always ask me what colour im going to paint it though.

im not going to paint it, i like it how it is!
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

ESO

Well,

The bright mid-night blue, wasabi green, pumkin orange, even GOLD have been my favorite as they do stand out the 70s image.

If the guy who is going to paint the car can do all the inside and engine bay right, I will most likely switch to blue, else I will keep the code 172 brownish grey as it is now. The thing is that this car came originally with blue interior which looks a bit funny when matching with the brownish colour tone.

See photo below :

oscar

Quote from: ESO on 21 February 2007, 08:54 AM
The thing is that this car came originally with blue interior which looks a bit funny when matching with the brownish colour tone.

Odd mixes - That's just pure 70's :D

ESO, I really really like your paint colour.  Call me colour blind if you will but although I've never been too fond of blue interiors, the mix you have between external and internal looks great.  Even looks like a blue tint in the windows, yes?

Of course do what pleases you, but the car looks really good IMO.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mforcer

It is a very modern looking colour.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

Well I have to like that brown - it's the colour of my Silver Spirit....
Maybe not a colour I would choose from a sample when buying a new car but one I like and it works well. Kind of dignified but not too serious...
BC

ESO

Hi Guys, you were right, the colour matching seem a bit funny, blue with brown and I thought the car was originally Charcoal gey with blue interior and the last owner changed it to brownish grey. However, I found out that this brownish grey was the original colour as the last owner who was also the 1st owner said the car has not been re-spray.

Oscar was right, I was thinking, Blue paint with blue interior might not be a perfect match. Besides, I always like things being as original as possible. For this brownish colour, yes, it is quite modern, friend of mind who bought a 350ML recently, the car is carrying basically similar colour to this brownish grey. So, this colour has been available for over 30 years.

Hmmmmm, now I have to do a bit of budget and see if I should really spend this much for a new paint job or I should leave it until I am sure mechanically the car is really healthy.

Anyway, thanks a lot to you guys for the input to this issue and for Oscar, I will meet up with the Mercedes retired mechanic this weekend and show him your smoke problem. Keep in touch.

Des

Quote from: Michel on 21 February 2007, 06:08 AM
You want 70s Benz?

Try pumklin colour....

hmmmmmmm ;D

you bet, not the colour I would choose buying a new car but I still like it, have grown to appreciate it.

s class

I once saw a 350SEL (believed the only one in South Africa) in that self same silver brown colour.  In person (metal) it looked fantastic.  I am also considering it for my 280SE.  I think it would work with my black interior.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

bahnstormer109

Personally, i dont like the colour green.

ive now been blessed with my third car in thistle green! i swear this colour just haunts me. i always say ill never get another thistle green one, then a really nice car turns up at a great price and has everything going for it, except that its thistle green. so i sigh and get it anyway...

id love a silver, gunmetal, or icon gold 116. and i love the 123s in the inca red and old english reds (orange) i even saw a nice 450SLC on a club run last weekend that was yellow, and it was beautiful.

that pic of the 116 thats posted on the previous page looks stunning. id kill to find one in that colour. dont change it!
having a blue interior is unusual. if anything, you could change the interior to black. but anyway, as long as it drives nice, who cares what the colour is. its a beautiful car. i think it has more going for it in that colour than a more common colour like blue, and the cost to do a really good colour change repaint inside the doors and engine bay etc, you could almost buy one thats already blue for that.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

CraigS

This is my 6.9 in Inka Rot (Inca Red). Don't know how to post photos in this forum, so here is the link:-

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/Mercedes%20450%20SEL%2069%201979/

Craig

Quote from: bahnstormer109 on 22 February 2007, 06:40 AM

id love a silver, gunmetal, or icon gold 116. and i love the 123s in the inca red and old english reds (orange) i even saw a nice 450SLC on a club run last weekend that was yellow, and it was beautiful.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

CraigS

It's not 100% finished yet. I have spent the last 2 1/2 years restoring it, and as always, there are small things to be completed. I don't restore for concourse showing - just my own driving pleasure !

Craig

[/quote]

Craig, I just looked through your car collection - that's a very impressive lot. That 300b looks like a concourse winner if I'm not mistaken ;)
[/quote]
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]