News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Wheel covers???

Started by irvine, 04 March 2018, 06:15 AM

UTn_boy

Robert, they look like standard steel wheel, but with a silver stripe painted on the inside flange.  See picture below. 

1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

floyd111

Was hoping to post a pic of the MB star-shaped silicone spray molds that I bought, designed to re-spray the wheel covers, but have been unable to find them online. Maybe someone else can do better?

Squiggle Dog

These are the aluminum wheels that take wheel covers, which I have on my car. They are similar to the one UTn_boy posted above, only mine are 5.5" wide versions, so they have four stripes instead of one continuous line as the 6" wide versions have. As far as I know, these wheels did not come on W116s, but they fit, are incredibly lightweight, and seem to absorb jolts better than steel wheels. 5.5" ones are much more common. I have a friend who sells the 6" wide versions for a pretty penny.

Today, I inspected my collection of wheel covers. I have 12 plated steel ones and 6 stainless steel ones (not counting the ones currently on my car). I found it interesting that I had more plated steel ones than stainless steel. These are the plated steel wheel covers I used to have on my 300SD, which replaced the bundt wheels:

I was perfectly content with them as they matched the paint color of my car and were in decent condition. I really wanted to keep them on my car but I could not get the aluminum wheel clips to fit them, nor could I get them to fit the aluminum wheels with the original clips. The clips all look original:

I checked the plated steel wheel covers in several places. All 12 were the same dimensions. When I place an old-style clip from a plated steel wheel cover on them, notice how the end of the clip lays flat against the wheel cover edge.

But, when I place a clip for aluminum wheels on a plated steel wheel cover, the end of the clip floats well above the edge of the wheel cover, and I can't even force it on with a screwdriver.

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Squiggle Dog

When I placed one of the plated steel wheel cover's clips on a stainless steel wheel cover, it fit--but more loosely than it did on the plated steel wheel covers.

When I lay down an aluminum wheel clip on stainless steel wheel covers, the end of the clip touches the edge of the wheel cover, unlike on the plated steel ones where there was a large gap.

But see, placing an aluminum wheel clip on a different plated steel wheel still shows a large gap, in every possible position on every single plated steel wheel cover. The aluminum wheel clips just don't fit the plated steel wheel covers.

No matter how much I would try, I could not force them on.

Seriously, I am using all my strength, but the clips simply won't compress enough to fit the plated steel wheel covers. They bottom out and deform, but don't go on.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Squiggle Dog

In contrast, the original clips from the plated steel wheel covers fit on them with only light hand pressure. That's a big difference from the aluminum wheel ones that couldn't even be forced into place.

I did notice, however, that some of the plated steel wheel covers had what must be updated version clips. They were wider, had a hole in them, and had a larger loop. They were a tighter fit than the older style clips, and they actually did fit on the stainless steel wheel covers also, though the fit was looser. They also seem to have more give to them, so this might make installing them on aluminum wheels possible--which wasn't possible with the older clips--which I could not force into the aluminum wheels no matter how hard I tried, and I actually almost broke the wheel covers trying to do so.

Looking at a newer style steel wheel clip and an aluminum wheel clip, the aluminum wheel clips set slightly lower and the nylon also facilitates installation on a thicker wheel. I think that the newer style steel wheel clips could probably be forced into an aluminum wheel due to the extra spring in them because of a larger loop in the profile.

On the left side is the updated type of clip. It fits plated steel wheel covers tightly, and stainless steel wheel covers loosely. On the right is an aluminum wheel clip. It fits stainless steel wheel covers tightly (look how much more tension it is under compared to the clip on the left), and won't fit at all onto the plated steel wheel covers.

My conclusion is:

1. Plated steel wheel covers are about 2mm shallower than stainless steel wheel covers.

2. Nylon-tipped clips for aluminum wheels do not fit plated steel wheel covers.

3. Plated steel wheel covers will not fit aluminum wheels if they have the old style clips, as they are not flexible enough to fit a thicker wheel.

4. Plated steel wheel covers MAY fit aluminum wheels if updated, more flexible clips are used (at the risk of gouging the wheels).

5. The updated clips for steel wheels will fit all wheel covers (but tightly on the plated steel ones).

6. Old style clips for steel wheels will fit all wheel covers, but will fit loosely on the stainless steel ones.

Squiggle Dog

Here is the stencil I used. It came from Benzrestorer on eBay. It's made of plastic and works okay, but I had to meticulously wipe off overspray on the star with a thinner-soaked rag. There was no outer stencil, so I had to mask the rim close to the edge and then wipe a thinner-soaked rag around it to get a clean line. Using thin masking tape instead of the stencil may have been better. I tried masking with wider tape but couldn't get the curves right. Looking back, I should have just cut the tape into narrow strips and used those.

Silicone stencils are made which also come with an outer part. But, they are expensive.

TJ 450

I'm pretty sure those aluminium wheels would be a USA thing, they wouldn't stand a chance in Australia.

It would be a bit like the 300SD alloy panels we never got here.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: TJ 450 on 08 March 2018, 04:54 AM
I'm pretty sure those aluminium wheels would be a USA thing, they wouldn't stand a chance in Australia.

It would be a bit like the 300SD alloy panels we never got here.

Tim

Haha. You probably never got the bundt wheels, either. I have a friend who has sold a few sets of the aluminum wheels to Australia. People like to use them on Pagodas and such. I imagine the aluminum wheels were to reduce vehicle weight and help with EPA standards in America.

robertd

OK thanks for the info Guys, learn something new every day.

and I agree with you Tim, the aluminium wheels would get trashed on our back roads
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

UTn_boy

Alright.  You win.  There is no sense in my trying to argue any more.  I've laid the facts out in front of you, and I've made references to part numbers and part number changes, and I even proved to you that chrome plated wheel covers never had different clips than the stainless wheel coverings.  I cannot understand why you're disputing facts, but that is certainly your prerogative.  I wish you the best in your endeavors, and in the future I hope that you will be more accepting of facts rather than what is in front of you. 

Should any of you fellas need me in the future, please email me at Benz220@aol.com.  I will no longer a member on this forum.  I'm also on facebook under Aaron Householder. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Squiggle Dog

Well, that's unfortunate and rather condescending. I showed you actual photos explaining my findings and yet you prefer theoretical data. I agree that the steel wheel clips that fit plated steel wheel covers will fit stainless steel wheel covers, and vice versa. I am not disputing this, after testing several wheel covers.

However, the nylon-tipped clips that fit aluminum wheels do not fit plated steel wheel covers (well, they might if you cut a few millimeters off the end to make them shorter). I am not the only person who has found this to be factual. Plated steel wheel covers are shallower than stainless steel ones, and the early clips don't deform enough to fit them onto aluminum wheels.

"in the future I hope that you will be more accepting of facts rather than what is in front of you."--This makes no sense. What's in front of me is proof of the facts. You are extremely knowledgeable about Mercedes and know more about them than do I. However, some statements you have made in this thread are incorrect, and yet you still insist that I am wrong even though I have shown you physical proof.

Don't leave on my count.

scoot

Quote from: UTn_boy on 09 March 2018, 12:47 AM
Alright.  You win.  There is no sense in my trying to argue any more.  I've laid the facts out in front of you, and I've made references to part numbers and part number changes, and I even proved to you that chrome plated wheel covers never had different clips than the stainless wheel coverings.  I cannot understand why you're disputing facts, but that is certainly your prerogative.  I wish you the best in your endeavors, and in the future I hope that you will be more accepting of facts rather than what is in front of you. 
Bizarre.  After 1000 posts you get discouraged because someone else happened to have more correct information on the topic of Wheel Covers & Clips and Aluminum Wheels?  You presented information as fact, when it wasn't fact.  It was a really good guess and completely made sense.  Particularly the part about the wheel cover having the same part number always.  Same with the early steel wheel clip and the late steel wheel clip.  I never checked to see if they had the same part numbers I just knew that the chrome plated ones were a little different than the stainless steel ones, and I knew that the chrome plated ones don't work with the pressed aluminum wheels.

The pic in your post is a pic of my 6" wheel taken off of ebay.  If anyone else interested in the "aluminum steelies" as they are called in the Pagoda world send me a message. 
1967 250 SL
1967 250 S
1968 280 S parts car
1971 250 C
1974 W116 LWB Red Interior but no car
1985 300 TD

ptashek

Quote from: UTn_boy on 09 March 2018, 12:47 AM

There's ways to have an argument in more civil, and less condescending, fashion.
Thus far, SD has done a much better job of it. Also, agreeing to disagree is always an option.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Squiggle Dog

I feel badly if my posts have influenced someone to leave. My intention was purely to add knowledge to the discussion that could prevent someone from purchasing incompatible wheel cover/clip/wheel combinations.

I decided to put both UTn_boy's and my data to a real-world test using several different wheel covers and clips. I wasn't trying to be adversarial; I just wanted confirmation. Sometimes even the Mercedes books are incorrect, or at the least, tricky to interpret when certain variables are in play.

UTn_boy is correct in that the 123-401-01-28 clips will fit both plated and stainless wheel covers. However, previous version clips cannot be forced into an aluminum wheel due to them not having enough flexibility. The current clips offered will likely fit aluminum wheels also, but will require more force than the proper nylon-tipped clips and may gouge the wheels.

I just want people to be aware of the incompatible plated wheel cover to nylon-tipped clip combination. I apologize if my previous posts were long-winded and this point was missed, or if it seemed like I was disputing every point UTn_boy was making. I was previously unaware of why some wheel covers are plated and some are stainless. Since the plated and stainless wheel covers are different dimensions, I was skeptical about any clips interchanging between the two. But, the current clips offered by Mercedes do in fact fit both, while the nylon-tipped ones only fit stainless wheel covers--Mercedes must have wanted to make sure they wouldn't come off.

If anyone decides to change to aluminum wheels, I recommend using the proper nylon-tipped clips (but be aware they will not fit plated wheel covers). At the very least, make sure your clips aren't the first version small-loop style. If you are using the wheel covers that are original to a W116, this shouldn't be an issue, but someone who is purchasing a set should be aware of potential compatibility issues.

It's true that neither plated wheel covers nor aluminum wheels are correct for a W116. But, many people like to use aluminum wheels to decrease their unsprung weight and improve ride quality while retaining a stock look. They are even used on high-dollar restorations because most of the time points are not removed for their use. As for plated wheel covers, since there is no obvious difference in appearance between them and stainless, it would be easy for them to end up on a W116 as used replacements.

marku

Who would think that the subject of wheel covers could prove so esoteric. I certainly didn't know that there were variables. I think mine are stainless and they just have the plain steel clips on steel wheels which are an absolute pain to get off. MB certainly meant them to stay on. If any one is interested these are on ebay here but now I would be a bit apprehensive  buying them no doubt I will be told that they will not fit the 116.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-mercedes-wheel-caps/302659816112?hash=item4677ee4ab0:g:pHoAAOSwB9danVd-
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof