News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

What's that button for ?

Started by James R, 31 December 2006, 09:20 AM

James R

Firstly, may I offer my sincerest best wishes for the New Year to you all. Happy New Year and Happy Motoring !

Now then. Anyone have any idea what a button in my car is for ? It sits between the hazard warning light button and the gearstick on the lower console and turns from left to right rather pulls out / pushes in. There is nothing in the car's owners' manual about it. Looks like a factory fit but I don't know. I'd be grateful for any info you might have.

Secondly, as some of you will have seen from the technical gallery, I have had a go at trying to add photos and it hasn't worked. I have an album set up but every time I add a photo into it, it says no photo in this album.

All the best,

James

1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Papalangi

If it's got little pictures of speakers and a curved arrow, it's the front to rear fader.  It seems to be factory installed even if the rear speakers are not.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

James R

Very happy to send it if you can e-mail me with your e-mail address. My e-mail address is jayandjuderead@hotmail.com. Doesn't have any speaker pics on it though and I can't test that theory cos its the middle of the night here. Could well be that though cos the rear speakers are the only ones that have worked since I've had the car. Be back to you in the morning.

Christ. Its nearly midnight and I'm scribbling in here. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Thanks for your help everyone.

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

AMG69

Ive seen this type of fader on many USA and Euro W116's from the early 1970's; later the "Spinning wheel" style 6.9 owners are used to was used over the range
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

I finally found a pic of one.  I knew I'd seen them whilst looking up Becker's on ebay.

The second shows a pic of the roller type spinning wheel fader that AMG69 talks about.

Is this what you're talking about James?  Looks like a smiley face.  Ebay link beneath it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-W108-W109-W115-R107-CAR-RADIO-BECKER-FADER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80741QQihZ005QQitemZ150075762950QQrdZ1

1973 350SE, my first & fave

James R

Just tried it with the stereo on. Yup. Its a fader ! Thanks to all (especially to Patrick and Oscar for going to so much trouble).

All the best,

James

;D ;D ;D
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

James R

How do you post pictures ? It defeated me !

On the subject of Beckers, have you seen these :-

http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_root/index.jsp?language=En

Hope this works...otherwise type in Mexico 7948 into search.

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

oscar

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 02 January 2007, 03:39 AM
At least I've worked out how to post pictures on this god forsaken board now ;)

Serious? After nearly 500 posts this is your first pic.  It's about time.  James R, this means you've got another 450+ posts before you can post pics  :D

Anyway.  Yes that Becker retro I'd die for.  Bloody expensive but I love it, even if i can't use all its features.  Interestingly, in your other thread James, "restoring my 450sel", I noticed Vad El has one of these in his car.  It's the first time I've seen one in a w116. Although I can't see a pic of it installed, he's definitely got one. Take a look at the first few pics. Vad El's car

Re posting pics, I see you've got an album in the garage section.  Click on garage then click on "no thumbnail" where your album is.  Then on upper right click add items or you can add another sub album where you can give that album a name and add items to that.  Anyway, follow the instructions to add items.  Once photos are in the album, click on one of the photos then click on options on the upper right.  A pop-up window will appear to the left which you should select "get item urls".  I think the third link, if you highlight and copy it then paste directly into a post, your picture will appear in the post roughly the same size as Pat B's pic above.  Have a play and see how you go, Good Luck. :)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

James R

Bu7*er it. I can't add photos. Seems to take ages for it to upload something but then it tells me that my album is empty. I give up. Thanks anyway.
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 02 January 2007, 04:54 PM
I used to be in love with computers and IT, until i worked in the field. Now my own computer is one of the worst running machines on the plannet, computers annoy me ;)

Hmm, that sounds a lot like me...I think programming was more fun when I wasn't getting paid for it...

Yes, you are right Michel, in my case I just haven't figured out an alternative...