News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

What kind of wood varnish?

Started by Prowler W116 RUS, 25 December 2006, 07:29 PM

Prowler W116 RUS

There was a sticker on the front panel. When I deleted it I saw the quite big scratch on the wood. Pls tell me what kind of varnish used on wooden panels inside W116 and how to get rid the scratch better.

James R

Russki prowler ? Comrade ? Has someone been watching too many James Bond films ?
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

oscar

Quote from: James R on 27 December 2006, 04:36 PM
Russki prowler ? Comrade ? Has someone been watching too many James Bond films ?

Is that what the avatar is from?  I thought it was you Prowler.  But I just saw you're photos in the gallery. I like your jacket. Oh, and your car looks good too! ;D

I haven't tried clear two-pack, but that may be my next step.  I've tried experimenting with polyurethane spray.  I'll take more photos of the product and how far I've come so far.  I rubbed back a zebrano lower middle console and an ashtray in August/October.  Unfortunately I wasn't patient and rubbed thru some layers of the ply in the console.  I mixed and used a couple of stains then first brushed on polyurethane, but found the aerosol can of polyurethane much easier to use and get an even finish.  Here's my link to the gallery pics which I haven't finished yet.  Each photo has a description. I have applied at least 10 coats of polyurethane but haven't taken any photos lately but I will soon.  The finish is good but I'm having trouble with dust making bumps in the finish.
Here's the first photo as the items came out of the box.  You can see the many fine cracks on the console and the large ones on the ashtray.

Here's my tips if you're going to use polyurethane on your particular problem. 
- If it's just a scratch and not a deep crack then rub it back like Styria says.
- Spray thin layers of polyurethane over the area. Wait 24hrs then rub down a little with the finest grade sandpaper then build up again another thin layer of polyurethane.
- Keep spraying, drying, sanding until your last spray ends up evenly flat with the rest of the surface.

Some WARNINGS: for polyurethane
- You'll have to do this in temps above 20oC
- It DOES take 24hrs for each application to cure.
- Be very patient
- Clean the trim thoroughly.
- Remove the trim from the car. The polyurethane will run if it's surface isn't flat.  Also the last few sprays of polyurethane should cover the whole piece of trim so the surface is even and blends.

It's a prick of a job and messy. I gave up on mine even though I'm almost finished. Try on some spare pieces even if it's off a w123 or other.  Anyway goodluck and welcome, I shall be back with more progress photos soon.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

James R

Hi Styria. No worries man. Don't worry, be happy !

Now, tell me who makes 205/70/14 tyres with a V rating.

Happy 116'ing in 2007.

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

michaeld

Oscar,
I'm no automotive paint wizard, but I know that paintshops use cleanrooms. to do their spraying.  I wonder if you could build a miniature cleanroom for yourself (plastic "cling" wrap applied over a light frame of some kind?), just big enough for you to reach your hand in with the can and turn your woodwork.  Or the other option would be to clean the bejeezus out of your bathroom after your wife leaves, and then hope she doesn't "catch you in the act" spraying polyurethanes in her domicile!

Line: "Oh, sure, honey; I'm the villain for spraying toxic chemicals in the house with you and all that hair spray?  I DON'T THINK SO!  Talk about weapons of mass destruction!"

Line 2: "C'mon, honey, I said I was sorry!  Will you please unlock the door and let me sleep in bed?"

oscar

Hi Michaeld,

I've had similar thoughts about a mini spray booth.  Even on painting the car I've thought about building a plastic covered frame from 2"x1" battons in the shed as a temporary spray booth.  It was bad enough cleaning my arms and hands of polyurethane overspray, I never bothered with the surrounding work desk.   I'd hate to think what damage polyurethane aerosol overspray would do to the bathroom.  Although I like your comeback lines, I don't think they'd save me in this instance.

Each time these things were sprayed they'd end up in a cubpoard which is fairly airtight but obviously not enough.  But you're right - work of this kind requires a dustless environment.  A mini booth is a great idea, would be cheap, and is essential before I summon the enthusiasm to finish these items off.

I must apologise for not posting photos of how this project stands at the moment.  Hopefully they'll appear here in the next three days.

oscar

Hi people, Finally I took the photos and uploaded them all with descriptions.  You can read as you go along what I did.

Click here to start from the beginning, 19 pics all up including the products used.

Here's some teasers.  There's 3 stain coats and at least 10 spray coats of polyurethane between top and lower photos.  Minimum around 14 days to allow drying in between coats.