News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

What is this antenna plug?

Started by 1980sdga, 09 June 2011, 11:38 AM

1980sdga

It's below the glovebox and it appears to be fastened into the harness with factory type ties. I can't tell where the other end leads  ::)

It looks like a PL259 connector which is used for CB radios here in the states...  I was afraid that I'd have some antenna issues installing the radio but it had a US type plug-in antenna wire connected to the radio. The antenna works fine with the "new" radio  and it appears that the antenna wire connected to the radio is factory (It's grey).

I was halfway expecting the antenna to connect to the radio amp after discovering this cable  ;D

jbrasile

Jon,

Could be a CB connection or maybe an older cel phone? Whoever put it in was careful enough to run it through  factory tie wraps.

Do you have a copy of your datacard to see if by any chance your car was ordered with some special installation such as a phone or additional antenna for a cb?

If you don't have it send me the VIN and I can get one out of the EPC or the Classic Center will produce it for us.

Tks

Joe

1980sdga

Thanks Joe.  No datacard (The cardboard one? I've seen photos.), but I have the metal "dog tag". Don't know if it has any useful info on it.

I'll post up my VIN.

I checked out both my 80's and they both have them...  One had most of the cell phone components still in place and the other one doesn't seem to have any evidence of ever having one installed. The cable in both of them are held in place with the factory ties and run into the dash behind the console. I don't recall seeing an open connector behind the ACC panels on either car.

Squiggle Dog

I seem to remember seeing those cables as well. I think that it may have been a connection for the radio amplifier, which was mounted on the kick panel under the dashboard (was optional, I assume).
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

1980sdga

VIN is:

I think the antenna may be part of the traffic monitoring system (TMA) which plugs into the back of the radio.  Either that or some euro spec radio. Shortwave or something?  I know that CB radios use a similar plug but I believe it's because they transmit as well as receive so they need better shielding.  Some US carmakers offered CB radios as an option...

???

My cell antenna is on the back glass and the cable terminates in the trunk so I don't think it's part of that.  I would like to know what it is!

jbrasile

Hi Jon,

You know what, I think I have that same cable on both my 450's.... no idea what it is for.

I have e-mailed you a print screen of your datacard.

Tks,

Joe

1980sdga

Thanks for the datacard Joe! I'll have to meditate on it...

The mystery connector IS a PL259 where here in the states means CB radio. I even tested it out on the input for a CB. I highly doubt if it was put there with CB radio in mind though.

I may hunt down the other end of the cable one day...

Big_Richard

That cable certainly isn't on right hand drive vehicles what ever its for.

I suspect it was for the optional traffic system

Casey

I have the exact same mystery plug on my 1980 300SD too.  VIN is 11612012018181, the 947th 300SD produced prior to yours I guess. :D

I'd love to add CB to my car but figured I'd need a separate antenna.

I sure would like to find VIN 11612012012012. ;)

1980sdga

Odd that it seems to be in LH cars made for North America.   ???  I can see them putting it in all LH cars instead...  It is strange...

I've been running CB's for years and have been thinking about putting an unobtrusive one in this car.  But yea, you have to run a funky antenna to get any real use out of one  :P

They can be EXTREMELY useful on the road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSvhJRv470I

jbrasile

Hey Casey,

I ran 116120 12 012012 just for fun..., fully loaded car!

Take a look at its datacard....

Tks,

Joe

KenM

Joe you probably don't know but how come the data card for that car is available in the EPC? I haven't been able to find a single 116 data card in there and I haven't heard of anybody else being able to either. Perhaps this

car is used as an example or something, do we know if it's a real car? Very strange.

Big_Richard

Quote from: jbrasile on 09 June 2011, 06:45 PM

Take a look at its datacard....

Joe

Does that only work on USA cars ?

Can i give you mine and you tell me what it comes up with ?

Casey

Quote from: jbrasile on 09 June 2011, 06:45 PM
I ran 116120 12 012012 just for fun..., fully loaded car!

That just makes me want it more.  What is the paint color?  Can you also post my datacard?

jbrasile

Ken,

For US cars datacards are available starting in 1980, for the rest of the world around 81, I say around because I've seen some euro 1980's come up too. Anything older than that and no info will show on EPC.
This is a real car, as far as I know EPC does not have any "sample" vehicles loaded.

Tom, if your car is an 80 I can try on the EPC if it is older and you give me the VIN I can get the datacard from the Classic Center and e-mail it you.

Casey, paint code on 012012 is 737  Classic White

Here is yours:

Tks,

Joe