News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

What do people think of whitewalls on silver cars?

Started by Will, 31 March 2017, 06:28 AM

Will

I'm getting excited as my 450SEL is edging closer to coming out of the paint shop and back onto my driveway.  I've been thinking about which wheels to run, as I have both the mexican hats and the steels with matching hubcaps.  As I plan to take the family out in the car, I will probably replace the tyres as a precaution, because I think the ones on my steels at the moment are about five or six years old. 

I've always liked the look of whitewalls with hubcaps on the darker colour cars, but haven't seen too many on silver cars (like mine).  However, I did recently see als450's silver car (from the 'what have you done to your car' thread) which has whitewalls and looks great, IMO.  I think it makes the wheels look as though they fill the arches slightly more.  I guess I'm just interested to hear other peoples' musings on this fairly trivial topic!

If I do go for the whitewalls, choice is fairly limited here in the UK - I think the Maxxis MA1 or the Retro Classic 001 are the only reasonably priced options out there, as we don't get the Hankooks etc over here. 

daantjie

I myself am not a fan, but I guess you will get some for and against on this one.
I see nowadays folks put all kinds of ghastly "stick on" type walls on in all types of colours on new cars.  Mostly rich Chinese kids in their brand new high end sports cars here in Vancouver though, so take that as you wish...
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Will

Yes, taste, as they say, is a matter of taste.  I did see those 'stick on' covers, but I think they have the potential to look really bad really quickly, so I won't be doing that.  The other option is to keep with plain tyres and throw on the mexican hats for a change.  The trouble is, I find the mexican hat wheels on silver cars somehow make them look quite tired, unless they are really clean and shiny.  But perhaps that's just me!

Peter

I like white walls on a 100,108,114, even a 115 but not on the 116 - thats just personal preference  ::)

rumb

My first car was a 1948 Plymouth Club Coupe, I put add-on rubber 4" whitewall sides from JC Whitney.   Was ok until it snowed and then driving the snow would get under them and push them out a few inches.  They came off very soon after that!
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

beagle2022

I just accidentally acquired whitewalls.  I had difficulty finding the right size.  The dealer found stock and to his surprise they were whitewalls.  On the spot I had to decided whether to feature them or hide them.  I decided loud and proud was the way to go.  What do you think?
Sydney, Australia

Will

marku

The 116 was made for whitewalls they look great
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ptashek

I personally like the thin-stripe whitewalls. They add a classic feel to the chassis ;)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

robparker

I'd probably have black tyres with the painted hub caps, proper old school classic Merc look.

Either way though, it's great that yours is almost ready to come home!
6.9, 300SL, C43 + dog car

Will

So it's fair to say we have the full spectrum of opinions, which is great, because it means there isn't a 'correct' answer - but makes it harder to decide! I'm erring on the whitewall look for now, but that changes on a daily basis...

Anyway, as Rob says, the main thing is that I'm almost back on the road! Well, we'll see what the weekend brings anyway....

floyd111

I am also set on giving them a try. My personal taste tells me they would look better if there are no chrome fender decorations on the car, though.

marku

Well mine has the chrome arches which I think adds to the car but I really must get some whitewalls just the narrow strip not the complete sidewall.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

johnnyw116

Cool color ! and cool whitewalls !
i used to own a white 1972 280SE with whitewalls and mudflaps with a white star emblem , onfortunally i lost one mudflap becouse of some rust issues ,i  found and old pic of the car ....   
but i think i looks good on silver too 
JohnnyW116

Will

That looks fantastic - I think there is something of a Studio 54/disco-era look to it...and I mean that in a good way!