News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

What color is your W116 car ?

Started by Tomi, 23 November 2004, 04:21 AM

Tomi

My 450 SEL is (581) inca red

what is your car color ? I am interested to know in what colors the 116 was available .

gordonperry2003

Hi

My 1979 450SE (UK) is Magnetite Blue - 931H.  It is a pearlescent mid-blue and looks good with the chrome (at least if I keep it all clean!!).  

GP

Mforcer

I am not sure of the actual name of the colour but I think the colour code is 525G.

The best way I can describe the colour is dark red. The colour does vary quite a lot depending on light conditions. I think it is a great colour.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Mforcer

I just stumbled across Standox colour formulations and according to its database my colour is Metalic Red and was originally available from 1975 to 1979.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

450SEL

My 78 450SEL was repainted by the previous owner, because the original white had oxidized.  The new color is pearl white.  Unfortunately, the paint wasn't sanded before being painted, so there are minor problems with the new paint.  Eventually, I am going to have it properly repainted and stick with the pearl white.  It really looks great on the W116 body.
Jeff

oscar

That standox site is pretty handy.  My 350 se is white which I believe now is Classic White 737.

A while ago I was asking around to get paint for a respray of the hood which has humidity bubbles.  Nowhere could I find reference to paint code on the chasis or engine bay.  Eventually I found out that a data card containing this info would've come with the owners manual when the car was new 30 years ago. The original paper work has gone and any ideas of respraying have been demoted below more important jobs to do on the car.  That is, until now - maybe.  

Looks are important don't ya think?  Apart from destracting an onlooker whilst the car starts and pumps out a white cloud on ignition; shiny chrome, glass like duco, invisible windows and that gleaming 3 pointed star up front makes for an impressive vehicle.  Oh, and until the motor is stripped and reconditioned, I liken the smoke similar to a classic B17 or P51 starting up with a belch of white smoke.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

oscar

Hi Styria,

I should mention that the section I wrote re: looks versus mechanical condition was a tounge-in-cheek comment relating to the dilemma of what to do next, or rather what needs to be done.  We'd all like to get our cars looking brand new but there's obviously a need to prioritise, especially when it comes to worn out mechanics.

You mention some interesting points re transmission oil and brake fluid, however, I can say that neither levels have dropped or needed adding to in the 12 or so months I've had the car.

I should also be a bit more specific about the car's condition.  The car's done 377,000km, a lot of towing, not serviced very often.  The white smoke is from exhaust and only during ignition or heavy acceleration.  Oil needs to be checked often especially after long trip.

My guess is valve guides and rings, but until the motor's pulled the full extent of what's needed wont be known ie: pistons bearings etc.  It's a matter of time and money, but when the work's done, it'll be done properly.

I'll post a thread re my car and it's painfully slow resto soon, quite frankly there's better 350's and 450's out there but this one has sentimental value as well as presenting a challenge.

oscar

Gee whiz I was wrong.  My code is 050G, or "weiss" according to Standox, not classical white 737.  Right where you said it was styria.  

I see that the twoeighty site left this code off their list of colours. However, according to Standox 050 was discontinued in'73 which I'm assuming was replaced by 737 for '74 models.

alabbasi

Mine was green, now silver (with green leather).
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

oscar

Hi styria,- Absolutely, sitting in this thread for so long I notice you've started to repeat yourself. :D

Seriously though, I'm just glad to find out what my true colour is.

Like you I want the car to be original MB as much as possible, including the paint colour.  When the electrics are sorted out, even the original AM only radio will go back in instead of the CD player that was going to replace it. At the moment I have the choice between ipod with headphones or hum of the engine. And guess what, the ipod never needs recharging.
OK off topic, I'm thru with colours, thanks all, I'm off to technical. huru.

280SE

Hi All.

Mine is the 516 Red.

It is a daily driver, and in generaslly overall good condition.
Does need a respray that I am hoping to give it later this year.

Does this model, In Oz, have a clear coat over the final colour coat???

Thanks
Rick