News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

What are your experiences with car covers? - good or bad?

Started by Ilike300sd, 31 October 2011, 12:14 PM

Ilike300sd

I put a budge "shield" (Dupont Tyvek) car cover on the 300SD.  After a night of rain I noticed a lot of condensation under it so was immediately worried I might be promoting rust.  Then we have a nice day today and I checked this morning and the car is totally dry.  I once had a 65 200D fintail that came with a well used car cover.  That car's paint was in really good shape although I don't really know if/when the cover was used on that car, just assumed it had been used a lot.  My garage is already used up from storing a 928 so that's not an option.  I have considered building a carport but not sure if I'm ready to go there yet as I would want it to be big enough for 4 cars to make the expense worthwhile.

What are your ideas, opinions, or experience with car covers?  Thanks for any thoughts!

TJ 450

That's a tough one, as there are a number of opinions going around. I would use the type with a soft lining, and one that breaths and doesn't let water in at the same time.

I'm undecided on whether or not Tyvek is a good option... You don't want any sort of abrasion/condensate entrapment happening.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

KenM

I had my car siting outside under a cover for many months, I tried several different types but wasn't happy with any of them. In the end I bought two new double bed flanellette sheets and sewed them together, this went on the car first and then a poly tarp over the top. The trouble is as TJ says I always got condensation happening and once it's under the tarp it will not dry up. This led to mould of course as well as ants making nests in all sorts of nooks and crannies so I gave it away in the end. If you can find something properly waterproof and breathable, with a soft lining and proper UV resistance on the outside you might have a chance. A cover is a short term solution I reckon, the car will suffer for it in the end.

Big_Richard

i always used to keep my 6.9 under a car cover after i had it resprayed. The cover lasted about 2 years and was a breathable soft type, it ended up rotting from sun damage and falling to pieces.

I did not have issues with condensation, and I liked the fact that it kept our burning star from destroying the interior.

now i keep the car in a locked garage but the side is open to sunlight to a degree and the amount of sunlight able to get onto my new leather and wood concerns me greatly. I will need to do something about that.

Ilike300sd

That is great info. regarding condensation.  My conclusion I came to based on pretty limited evidence is that the Budge "shield" cover, made partially of dupont tyvek, either allows some moisture to get through or it creates condensation when it rains.  That condensation is trapped as long as it's rainy but soon dries out after the rain stops.

The problem with that is where I live the rain never really stops in the winter.  So I'm concerned the moisture will remained trapped for a long time.

I therefore ordered two Budge "rain barrier" covers, one for the MB and for for a 928.  This one is the only one they say is 100% waterproof.  They also say it is breathable.  So, in theory, this should reduce the amount of moisture under the cover and still allow what moisture there is to escape.  I can do a direct comparison to the shield cover since I will have them both in a few days (I will retrun the "shield" covers a couple day after the rain barrier ones arrive).  For a W116 the rain barrier ones cost $65 shipped from here:

http://www.carcoveroutlet.com/waterproof_car_covers

I think the shield one would be fine in an area where the car has a chance to dry out periodically.  I was very surprised how fast the water/condsation went away once we had decent weather.  The guy from carcoveroutlet said the "shield" one is designed more for UV resistance.  Budge says the "shield" one is "virtually waterproof".  I'll update this thread after I get a chance to test the "rain barrier" covers.  If, on a rainy day, I check under the cover and see no moisture I will be extremely happy.  I think a cover or build a carport is the only option I have.  I have 1 million trees around my house and they destroy paint very fast.  I had a white car that developed very hard to remove black spots and tree sap in only a month.  I love having trees but they are very hard on paint.

Ilike300sd

Major Tom, they make silver foil-like window covers for airplanes that would work well.  The problem with that though is that the car paint on that side that gets sun will oxidize faster than the other side, making your paint uneven in color in the long term.  So a "UV-proof" car cover may be the way to go.  That budge shield one is fairly cheap and very UV proof.  I don't know that I would call it "soft" though.  I think the paint scratches occur when removing any cover, no matter how soft.  Because the cover slides against dust/dirt on the paint.  This assumes the cover is not flapping around in the wind (where a soft cover would be much more preferable).  I just remove it from both ends so that there is no sliding when removing cover.  All just IMO

Type17

If there was a good car cover that was truly waterproof while breathable, and didn't cause friction damage, or allow UV through, it would be a market leader, and all others would trail in its wake. The fact that there is no clear leader in the market makes me believe that all car covers are a compromise, and they are a product that can't currently deliver all that is required. Another example is shampoos that also wax your car while you wash it...

If you have the space, I'd build a carport, perhaps with louvred panels on one or more sides where the sun is strongest.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Tony66_au

Quote from: Type17 on 01 November 2011, 04:19 PM
If there was a good car cover that was truly waterproof while breathable, and didn't cause friction damage, or allow UV through, it would be a market leader, and all others would trail in its wake. The fact that there is no clear leader in the market makes me believe that all car covers are a compromise, and they are a product that can't currently deliver all that is required. Another example is shampoos that also wax your car while you wash it...

If you have the space, I'd build a carport, perhaps with louvred panels on one or more sides where the sun is strongest.

What you seek is called a Garage Type17 lol

Guys?

Don't confuse a dust cover with a car cover, Tyvek is great stuff and I've worn it a fair bit in disposable overalls but heres the issue.

It breathes fluids which defeats the purpose.

Most of these type of car covers are actually ment to be used under a carport or in a garage, are not UV Stable and can cause damage to paintwork via leaves, tree sap and even pollen and airborne contaminants which when mixed with a bit of Dew overnight often end up staining clearcoat or paintwork.

Considering the cheap availability of temp carports (Gazebo style), add a few sandbags and your car has some cover.

Cheers,
Tony

Big_Richard

Quote from: Tony66_au on 03 November 2011, 05:45 PM

Considering the cheap availability of temp carports (Gazebo style), add a few sandbags and your car has some cover.

Those things break away from their sand bags and become airborne projectiles over here  8)

Squiggle Dog

I bought a couple of cheap car covers the local bargain store. It only took a month or two for the covers to dissolve like they were made of paper! Maybe they were.

Right now I am using tarps over my fintail sedan and wagon to keep the water out of them as they are currently being used to store parts and I want to keep the interiors dry. They work great if you can keep them strapped down to the car and you don't mind if the paint job gets damaged because of the abrasion.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Ilike300sd

So I bought two "rain barrier" covers from coveroutlet.com  They are the only budge ones where it says 100% waterproof.  It also says they are breathable.  Well, after trying them out in a few days of heavy rain I have to report that...   what they say is 100% true.  No wetness at all underneath.  Had a pool of standing water behind the spoiler of the 928 and nothing leaked through.  Very impressed so far.  Cost was $65 shipped.  I returned the two budge "shield" covers and I'm glad I did.  These "rain barrier" covers are great.  I'll report back this winter to see if there is any change.  This waterproof one isn't offered at autozone where I bought the shield ones.  Here is the car cover outlet website fyi  http://www.carcoveroutlet.com/waterproof_vehicle_covers

JasonP

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Squiggle Dog

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

littlefin

The major problem with car covers is of course that they trap condensation and hold it against the paintwork. I keep my cars in a semi-enclosed car port which has plenty of air movement. I use flannel sheets/old blankets covered with a thin (breathable) nylon car cover. I have to keep them covered because of neighbourhood cats getting in & jumping up on the cars to sunbathe!

This arrangement has worked very well, generally, but I have had a problem with blistering on the bonnet (hood) of my W108. The car was resprayed over the originally paint (ie not bare metal stripped beforehand). I conclude that the new paint has lifted off the layer underneath due to the presence of moisture.

I have not had the same problem with my W110 kept in identical conditions.
110011 1967 230
108057 1972 280SE3.5
116024 1979 280SE
126037 1983 500SEL
124030 1989 300E

Ilike300sd

Used the "rain barrier" covers from coveroutlet mentioned above all winter on various cars.  They worked freakin awesome and were constantly under rain, falling pine needles and branches.  I wouldn't mess with any other cover after using these.  A couple cars were undisturbed all winter and looked excellent after taking the covers off.