News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Weekend Wrenching II

Started by alabbasi, 19 February 2006, 12:55 AM

alabbasi

This weekend was spent mainly working on the silver 6.9. With the help of a friend, I replaced the rear left axle. I bought a pair of NOS from a gentleman here in GA (who used to run Atlanta-Stuttgart) a few weeks ago. From what I understand, the book says this is a 2 hour job. We took around 5 hours to get it off and back on again. While there I replaced the diff oil with the Lucas stuff.

While test driving the 6.9, I discovered a new problem. The engine appears to be missing every 3-4 seconds only at idle. But the miss is quite noticeable. I have no idea why, can anyone offer me any suggestions? It appears to ride better. I cannot tell if the knocking has gone away for good until I drive the car for a few days.

On the 280SEL 4.5 I re-wired the rear tail lights as the painters could not put it together. The brake, reverse and blinker lights all work. However, the number plate, right rear running light and the two side rear side lights are not working. Are those relate? any ideas on how I can fix this from my fellow M-100 6.3 owners?

I also installed the two front interior door panels to match the blue leather seats and replaced the window channeling on the right rear window. This window channeling installation appears to work a little better then the first install. I still need to do more hammering to make it fit.

For the next couple of weeks, I will have family in town and hence will not be able to work on my cars. But there is still plenty of things to do.

I also need to take myself to the junk yard in the next couple of weeks and find a floor pan for my black 6.9 and then learn how to weld [:)]
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

alabbasi

Thanks for your advice, as a side note, without the W116 workshop manuals that are located on this site, It would have been a lot harder to get the axle changed. Many thanks.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.