News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Water accumulation

Started by PMcG, 09 May 2021, 11:40 PM

PMcG

Folks, starting to get some water accumulation in the trunk wells on both sides.  Does anyone know where the water is coming from and how best to mitigate?  It's starting to cause some rust  :-\
1976 450 SE
Diamond Blue Metallic / Navy Blue

daantjie

Likely spots are taillight seals as well as trunk seal.  Also check fuel filler drain hose while you're in there.  Also a good opportunity to remove and grease up the Hirschman antenna unit if fitted.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

PMcG

Thank you!  Will look into this!
1976 450 SE
Diamond Blue Metallic / Navy Blue

JeffCullen

I cleaned and blew out my fuel filler drain hose and did both tail light seals (that was an expensive eBay NOS journey), but my right trunk well kept getting wet until I did the fuel filler neck gasket (also an expensive eBay NOS journey). That sorted it. The old one was pretty loose and gnarly. P/N 1079972481. There appear to be some reasonably priced ones in Latvia now...
1979 300SD #6680 - Astralsilber - 153,750km
1998 E300 Turbodiesel - Rauchsilber - 172,000km

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 09 May 2021, 11:54 PM
Likely spots are taillight seals as well as trunk seal.  Also check fuel filler drain hose while you're in there.  Also a good opportunity to remove and grease up the Hirschman antenna unit if fitted.
I think maybe a perished rear window gasket can also leak into the trunk.  I should replace mine but it sounds like a horrific job.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

revilla

Highly probable it's coming from the rear window rubber seal at the corner(s).
But the other usual suspects mentioned above can't be ruled out. I know it's silly, but find a trustable friend (or wife/girlfriend?) and get in the trunk with a flashlight while he/she sprays the rear with a hose. This detection method never fails...
Pd.: make sure you've been super nice for at least a week with the person you choose to re-open that trunk :  )

raueda1

Quote from: revilla on 12 May 2021, 11:09 PM
Highly probable it's coming from the rear window rubber seal at the corner(s).
But the other usual suspects mentioned above can't be ruled out. I know it's silly, but find a trustable friend (or wife/girlfriend?) and get in the trunk with a flashlight while he/she sprays the rear with a hose. This detection method never fails...
Pd.: make sure you've been super nice for at least a week with the person you choose to re-open that trunk :  )
That's where mine leaks, for sure.  I can ignore it cause the car virtually never sees rain.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0