News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

W116 Restoration

Started by Gerhard, 21 July 2010, 01:00 AM

s class

Hi Gerhard,

Did you buy that dash new from MBSA?

I've heard hearsay that the colour and texture is a little different to the original.  Can you confirm/deny this?

Perhaps I could visit you and your project next time I'm in Pretoria?

Thanks. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mforcer

Wow. I too had forgotten about this and seeing the great work again gives me more courage for mine.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Gerhard

Got the dash from Joe. Was quiet supriced that they had a right hand drive dash in the states. Also got it at a price far less than MBSA. The textures looks exactly the same as the original one.

Just give me a call if your are in the area 083-266-7875

TJ 450

S class, that colour/texture difference is probably referring to the re-skinned units.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

TJ, one of our club members here bought a new dash (black) from MB.  I didin't see it with my own eyes, but he claimed it was a more charcoal grey colour than black.

I have confirmed with Gerhard that the one he bought from Joe is as-per-original. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

jbrasile

s class,

I can confirm that the texture of the new dashes is exactly the same as the original.

We can basically get any part for any version RHD or LHD through the Classic Center in Irvine.

Tks,

Joe

TJ 450

Quote from: s class on 25 November 2011, 02:19 AM
TJ, one of our club members here bought a new dash (black) from MB.  I didin't see it with my own eyes, but he claimed it was a more charcoal grey colour than black.

I have confirmed with Gerhard that the one he bought from Joe is as-per-original.

I see, you never know with these things. It's a bit like the leather... It changes over time.

There's also the very dark brown (almost black) dashes that went with certain colour combos. That would make things interesting too.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Gerhard

As said in my previous post, the front suspension has been removed. In the mean time the engine bay has received its filler prime and need a little bit of flattening before final spraying.

The front and back oil seals on the transmition has been replaced on the transmition (just for safety) and this has been mounted back onto the engine

The black metal waterpipe bolted to the head that feeds the internal heater was so rusted that we had a new pipe bended and then welded the brackets back.  The metal pipe that connects to the bottom of the radiator was also rusted beyond repair. Here we got one from a scrapyard and what is interesting is that this one is made out of brass.

Gerhard

The following rubbers bushes will have to be replaced. Must say fist time in 37 years.

Two on the cross yoke

All three three bushes for both the wishbones.

Joe can you suply me with a quote?

Gerhard

This car was originally painted black. An intresting fact that I learned was that these cars in black was only sold to government officials in SA in those years.
Originally we decided to keep it black. I resprayed my bike in black but added a red sparkle to the clear coat. Then this was the colour.

Then we decided to give the car a bit more of a modern colour. I did a friends bike in this Honda Accord Red

This is how it looks on a car. How do you think this will look on a w116?

Mforcer

I think that colour looks great but I am guessing that it changes shade depending on the light. Makes me think of a modern Brilliant Red like mine :) Black with a red sparkle to the clear coat would look great too.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

pompy

I think it'll look nice - but then your chrome, glass, rubber, tail- and headlight lenses should all be fresh and clear.
I often see old cars with good spray jobs but dull glass, light lenses etc etc that actually makes the car look not so good.

gf

stick with black i say- its part of the cars history that counts too-

Gerhard

Pompy - Luckly these cars still had glass headlights and these still look good. The taillights will be send for ultrasonic cleaning. The rubbers are being replaced.

gf - Spending money on these cars is at this stage not an investment so losing a bit of the History is not going to make any difference. I wan't to make this car stand out and think plain black is a to commen colour.

navigator