News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

W116 Restoration

Started by Gerhard, 21 July 2010, 01:00 AM

Gerhard

Spend today pulling the motor and transmission.

The next will be to clean and respray the engine compartment and fixing all the leaks on the engine and transmition

s class

I see you also buy your equipment at Adendorffs.....

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Gerhard

Yes not high priced and does the job.

pompy

Jeepers, Gerhard - you sure aren't fooling around, are you?!

Great work - I wish I were you.

Gerhard

It looks as if there is not a packing where oil is not leaking from.

My son took over the cleaning off the engine as he wants me to spray his bike.  He strip everthing from the engine after giving it a good wash

He is really going to town on the engine. Started today buffing the engine mountings and tappet cover. Not finished but looking already 20 times better.

I the mean time I started building stands to hold loose items like the doors and fenders for spray painting.

Big_Richard

thats one clean m110!

how do you buff the aluminium parts, what are you using ?

Necrosis

The more you post here, the more and more im impressed, I wish I could click my fingers and send my car over to ya for some work

Gerhard

MT 6.9 - On the engine mountings he used only Brasso and a one of those buffing wheels that consist of a couple of layers of material. The standard tappet cover looks very well finished but once he started polishing it, the flaws in the moulding became very visible. He then tackled it with different grades op sandingpaper . After that he used different grades of buffing soap (they look like big blocks of soap). We do a lot of stainles steel polishing with this buffing soap. My son is completing a 27 year project started by my dad.

Necrocis - The original idea was only to respray the car and to redo the upholstery. Now it is being changed into a showpiece that is going to take months to complete. I am just sorry that it is a 280S. The work would have been the same but the results would have been more rewarding if it was a 6.9.

Necrosis

Quote from: Gerhard on 02 September 2010, 12:50 AM
Necrocis - The original idea was only to respray the car and to redo the upholstery. Now it is being changed into a showpiece that is going to take months to complete. I am just sorry that it is a 280S. The work would have been the same but the results would have been more rewarding if it was a 6.9.

I know.. one day though huh?

CMS280SE

Hats off to you Gerhard - you have much more patience and skill than I! Please keep the photos coming, I'm really enjoying watching the progress.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Chris

pompy

Gerhard,

IMO, any 116 is worthy of such a level of restoration.

Big_Richard

Quote from: pompy on 03 September 2010, 02:40 AM
Gerhard,

IMO, any 116 is worthy of such a level of restoration.

I agree with that too,

I'll also add that the 6.9 is the least practical w116 to restore and drive.

For the same price it costs to restore one to concourse condition, you can drive a new S-class.

another sad 280s

the engine bay of the 280s is a great looker though. i don't like the crowded look of the v8

Gerhard

In the mean time my son has been doing a lot on the engine. Two of the water connections running from the intake manifold was badly rusted and he made new ones. One out of brass.

The other one out of aluminium.

Engine not completed but already lookin great.

oscar

8) 8) 8) 8)

That's awsome Gerhard.  Love the ingenuity of home made parts too.  Bravo!!
1973 350SE, my first & fave