News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

W116 Restoration

Started by Gerhard, 21 July 2010, 01:00 AM

Yesmar

this is great, thanks for sharing. im looking forward to the outcome.
- Ramsey

Gerhard

I would like to fit a spoiler to the front. Anybody got a idee where I could source this is preferable in South Africa. Thanks

nathan

the black 6.9 front spoiler can still be sourced from mercedes and shuoldnt cost much. gives a slick understated appearance to any 116!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Gerhard

Nathan I owned a 116 when I was about 26  and that is many moons ago as I am now 57. The car that I am restoring was my fathers pride and joy for many years. The first time I heard about a 6.9 is when I started reading this forum. I do not have any idee what the difference between a 116 and 6.9 is. I would appreciate it if you could post me a photo of the spoiler.

Gerhard

Repair the rest of the rust on the right side.

Found small amount of rust on the left side.

Boths panels under the doors has been fixed and painted with a rust inhibiter.

The next is to remove the rest of the interior (front seats, center console and then the dash)

Gerhard

Removed the front seats and center console. From what I read on this site it is a battle to remove the dash. Can someone please tell me how to remove the windscreen. Read the manual but I am not sure if you remover the screen from the car with the rubber moulding attached to the screen or if the moulding must stay attached to the car.

Since it is winter here and the garden does not need much attention I had the luxury to put the gardener on to start removing the paint with paint stripper.

KenM

Hi Gerhard,

You've taken on a massive task there mate, all the best of luck to you, it always gives me the willies seeing pics of someones car with it's entrails hanging out where the interior used to be, I'm not sure I'd have the guts to undertake such a mission. Not sure about the screen, I recall seeing that the rubber is supposed to stay attached to the glass, others who know a lot more than me can advise you better. Did you peel off the paint with a gerni and paint stripper?

Ken

TJ 450

Gee, that's come a long way.

To remove the windscreen, the seal does indeed remain attached to the glass. This is the same for installation.

The whole unit pops out from the inside, and this is done by peeling back the lip of the seal. Then it needs to be worked out in such a way that the glass is not subjected to uneven force... much easier said than done.

Of course, you could always just cut the seal around its perimeter with a box cutter, and pop the glass out that way. This would obviously destroy the seal in the process.

Good luck,

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Gerhard

Thanks Ken and Tim.

I got the windshield out with the rubber attached to the glass. Was quite easy once I removed the rubber putty they used in the past to seal it. I suspect it is not an original MB seal as it fits bad to the body and had to be sealed. It used to leak in the last couple years but luckily the rust under the seal is minimal.

Also got the dash out with a lot of Greek words. It looks as if MB put the dash down and then build the body around it.

I'm using a paint stripper. Tried to sand it down but that will take weeks.

TJ 450

Apparently, non-setting sealant/putty is supposed to be used on the bodywork side. I'm quite certain it would leak if you didn't use it.

Nice work with the removal.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Easy way to remove windscreen is cut the seal. Slide a thin knife blade in parallel (flat) to the glass and cut the rubber all the way round, then lift out the screen.

New seal required of course.

kona
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

flutes

Gerhard - it looks like it was but it's hard to tell from the photos, is it a black car?  And are you painting it black again?
Matt
1977 450SEL

thysonsacclaim

This is going to be beautiful. I wish I had the time to do this to my car! Perhaps next summer.

Gerhard

Quote from: flutes on 20 August 2010, 01:14 AM
Gerhard - it looks like it was but it's hard to tell from the photos, is it a black car?  And are you painting it black again?
Yes we are going to keep it black

Gerhard

Car with windscreen and dash removed.

Found more rust that needs attention