W116 - possibly the easiest car to steal?? After getting inside anyway...

Started by SELfor50, 24 October 2007, 07:12 PM

116Benz

Quote from: crayford on 25 October 2007, 01:40 AM
Do you know, I don't think we have photos of most of them (they were largely bangers). Can dig up some of the manual 450SE, and the Crayfords (obviously). Might have some of the Kerry Packer 280 somewhere, and the black manual.

Yes please, pics would be great!

SELfor50

Nathan... you're spot on my friend - they're not easy to steal at all.

Let's say i was a little premature in my findings.

The barrel itself doesn't need to be removed to start the car. 

I Simply detached the back half of the barrel and presto turned it with a screwdriver.

THEN after I thought i was home free and able to drive to the locksmith to get a new key cut from my door lock I went to start it again and it kicked once then died.

After 3hours of fumbling round testing every electrical item that co-incidentally still had power.
Then shorting out the starter motor which kicked no worries so it wasn't that.
My mate then arrived to give me a lift to the locksmith to get a new key.
(which at this point seemed like the least of my worries cause now my 450 didn't even wanna kick...she seemed dead.)

My mate then suggested it may be something to do with my killswitch linked to the gear shifter.
PEOPLE, These aftermarket Gear Knobs SUCK!!!  Since i've put it in, it has to be pushed forward (yes, while in park) in order to be able to start.

After punching the wall and wondering how i could've been so stupid not to think of the simplest thing but rather everything else, i told my mate to head off and that i'd be able to drive down the locksmith by myself now.

Closed up the house, got out of my oily rags... started silver, put it in reverse, got out, closed the garage, got back in, put it in drive.....................turned the steering wheel........  :'(

I'm sure you can all guess what happened after that.

To disengage the steering lock - unless you have the correct key, you need to be GOD!

I must apologize to German Engineering, i questioned it and paid the price.  :-[

Either way, an immobilizer is still a good idea Bill....  Nothing worse than that sinking feeling of not seeing your car anywhere!

Cam.

Des

Few times I've had to park my Benz in dodgey areas or at night I've just taken the rotor out and pocketed it.

car has always been there when I got back.

Bonnet Star is a much more likely target for criminals I would say.

Andrew280SEL

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

nathan

i told you my friend!
you see what happens when you talk trash to the teutonic gods!

i hope you got the problem resolved...i had this same flippin nightmare when i boughtt the 450 wrecks and one didnt have a key and the steering was locked

hope it all panned out
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

WGB

Quote from: Des on 25 October 2007, 03:42 AM

I have lost three stars over the years coming out of Lodge meetings (The cars are parked in dodgey areas).

The first one I lost was on an E280 and t night it looked like the bonnet was all scratched. When I got up in the morning - still feeling defiled - I found that what I thought were scratches was actually blood all over the front of the white bonnet.

The big spring in the centre had taken off someones finger tip.

I whistled all the way to Diesel Motors with a spring in my step and paid them $48 for a new one - most enjoyable $48 of fun I've ever had.

I think M-B subsidises the cost of them as the last price I saw a couple of years ago was still only around $70 - they just put it on the price of verything else.

Bill

CraigS

I was quoted the other side of $170 for my 6.3 after some hooligan snapped it off.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

SELfor50

Quote from: Des on 25 October 2007, 03:42 AM
Few times I've had to park my Benz in dodgey areas or at night I've just taken the rotor out and pocketed it.

car has always been there when I got back.

That's classic... Out of pure paranoia that one of my neighbors had found the key outside, I took the rotor out last night too... And being it was a new one i only bought yesterday - i figured i should probably take the spare inside as well.  Just in case there were any 'intelligent' thieves....(if there is such a thing)

Quote from: WGB on 25 October 2007, 05:48 AM
The big spring in the centre had taken off someones finger tip.

I whistled all the way to Diesel Motors with a spring in my step and paid them $48 for a new one - most enjoyable $48 of fun I've ever had.

Hahahaaaaaaaaaa........  That's GOLD!!  "Harsh.... but FAIR!!"   :D :D :D

huck280

Oh SELfor50 - mate, I feel your pain! I laughed when I read that - my laugh of sympathy... The thought of you driving round in circles until the end of time because you mocked the German locksmiths... Greek mythological justice to it!

And Crayford, does that mean we can ring you at any time night or day to get you to pop round with the Key of Power?

johnnyw116

verry easy indeed to steal ,  you take a hammer and give doorhandle
a good hit on the side it will come loose verry easy and inside its a
piece of cake ! i was not always a brave boy in my younger years
infact a friend of mine could take a W116 in about one minute
but thats all history :-)             
JohnnyW116

SELfor50

Nathan.... I once again found myself cursing the name of the German Locksmiths!

After you reminded me bout the boot i thought i'd try it.  And considering I have an event this weekend, they need to get into the boot for scrutineering.   :-\

So after another 3 hours at the locksmith (cause the key that they did for the ignition and door that works doesn't work for the boot) and trying 15 different profile cuts / wears on new keys it came down to drilling the lock.   Which in itself is a monstrous task.  After making the decision to start drilling - it still took about 45mins.
I now have a push button open boot, but will be swapping the boot lock off ol' smokey.

Any suggestions for swapping out the boot lock?  Is it a little easier than breaking one?   :-[

nathan

i didnt get round to replacing the boot lock as i only need the panel itself!  however, those locks are solid arent they...i think i also dinged up the chrome around the lock quite well in the process too.
good luck

1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

oscar

Cam have a look at this thread - I haven't read it all and I haven't removed the barrel at all.  I've just played with the lock from inside the boot.  It may give some clues? maybe?

http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/locked-out-of-boot-trunk/0/

edit: Johnnyw116, I was waiting to see what your thoughts were on w116 theft :D .
1973 350SE, my first & fave

John Hubertz

The "boots" *trunks of all 70s Mercedes are a snap with a quick-drill and an icepick...  literally drill an invisible hole and just ping the mechanism.  I practiced on a junkyard car to unlock the trunk of my 1st 107 since the vacuum system was inop and I had no key.

I've had two cars stolen this summer - Max and the "Miracle Whip", my van... both recovered intact within hours.  In both cases the keys were either in the car or stolen first.

The best way to prevent car theft is insurance - as my 10K policy on Max means that my luck would have to be shiny good to have him gone forever.

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

SELfor50

Did I mention that my Key to ol' silver has been found?!   :-X  :-[