News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

W116 Diplomatic conversion questions

Started by MBKOG, 11 April 2018, 09:55 AM

MBKOG

I am seeing if anybody has information on Diplomatic flag poles/ hardware for the W116 chassis.  The only factory Mercedes Benz complete set I have found are for a Japanese 220 chassis and they are $1000 US each.  I can get the #120 810 00 84 flag poles with the Mercedes Benz logo on top for $120 US each, but I am not sure how, or if, they would attach to the fenders, or if they are a direct fit to the fender hardware available for the Japanese 220 chassis.  I have looked into aftermarket flag poles as well as Z-Brackets for the hood gap, but I am trying to try to stay with as much of an OEM look as possible.  Thank You

Harv

These?

My understanding is that these are parking poles, not flag poles.

The flags are mounted on the fenders:

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

MBKOG

I guess the catalog may have mislead me.  I am not interested in the parking poles, but I am interested in the flag poles shown on the blue 116.  Any idea of a part number for those or are they all aftermarket?  Thank You

Harv

They are OEM.

The 108/109, 116 and W100 600 all use different poles. I understand is that this is the part number for the poles: 1168100084. I highly highly doubt anyone has them in stock anymore.

Here is what all is needed to mount poles to your fenders. As you can see, some drilling must be done:

I don't have the part numbers for all those other parts. My check out the EPC if you can.

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

MBKOG

Harv

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

irvine

I recently fitted a corner marker with the Mercedes badge on top and think it looks better than the flag pole in that blue car, sorry..
It gives enough height to use a small flag if you want.

Neil.

MBKOG

Thank you all for your input.  I agree that the Parking Pole/ Corner Marker does look better than the Flag Pole!  I printed out the parts list for the Flag Poles if anybody is interested.  The Flag Poles are not available anymore but all the minor parts are still available in Germany.

floyd111

If you keep your eyes on the ball, doing searches internationally every 2 weeks or so, in Germany, Japan and
the USA, you should find OEM poles in NOS at some point.
However, the most likely sellers will be the French brothers, well known here, and they will ensure you give up an essential organ in return for a set. I all other cases, you'll be paying a lot. best offer I ever saw was 500 euros for a set. Highest I seen was 1500 euros. So, a lot of work, just to be able to overpay in case of success.

The flagpoles are at least as pretty, and as useful, and can be installed without drilling holes in fenders. I have 30 of them from the 70's and 80's, after hunting every last one of them down in Japan. 3 types, all officially supplied by MB Japan, not MB Germany, one  type being a lit version. Problem is the connecting bracket. They need to be custom-made,  to fit the W116, but that should not be too difficult if you re handy.

You could try some searches on buyee.jp, there may have been new offers since I stopped buying them last year. If you have brackets made, I will buy them off you in a larger amount at a reasonable price.. I need 15 sets brackets at some point.