News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

W116 300SD drivers seat

Started by jtwoods4, 24 May 2020, 09:34 PM

jtwoods4

I have a beautiful 1980 300sd that I've been driving for the last 7 years. the drivers seat support padding is starting to feel a little worn especially near my lower back. On long trips my back will get a little sore. I'd like to just get a replacement drivers seat. Does anyone know where I can get this?
1980 300SD

floyd111

I bought 4 of them new from MB, because they simply never ever popped up in NOS anywhere.
Someone here will know if they're still available as of 2020. Be ready for a hefty  bill, though. I paid 250 euros a piece years ago, at the cheapest supplier, deep down in Romania. They were double that in most places, and may as well be double THAT now.

On that note, allow me to hijack this thread a little. I am faced with a rear seat spring unit issue.  Much has been said here about welding and foam inserts. My  workshop must have stored mine under a leaky ceiling. Just saw the once OK covers are wasted away on the sides, and the internals are completely rusted. I have new pads, luckily, but I am no doubt faced with having to get decent or new rear sets springs.
is there any news, updates, about these being back on offer at MB?
Any way to obtain a new-ish one, NOS, refurbished or whatnot?

jtwoods4

I appreciate your input man but please start another thread with your question. You definitely just hijacked this thread and I need to find out details about getting w116 seat. I would prefer that my thread stay focused on helping me find a w116 seat. Can you please post your question in your own thread?

I'll call Mercedes and check and see if they have a seat. if anyone else knows where I can get a w116 300sd see please let me know.
1980 300SD

floyd111

Sure thing.
That part numbers you're looking for are
A 1269101122
CUSHION FRAME
A 1169100122
CUSHION FRAME
Repalced by: A 1269101122
A 1169100040
SPRING CORE
Replaced by: A 1269101122
A 1169100022
CUSHION FRAME
Repalced by: A 1269101122

jtwoods4

1980 300SD

floyd111

I wrote this before, but here it is again. ebay.de and ebay.com are 2 different systems, check both separately and change your delivery address on your search page before hitting search. germany for .de, etc. if not, ebay will filter out a massive amount of results.
if not ebay, check ebay.kleinanzeigen.de
there is quoka.de and willhaben.at
besides that, google results will vary if you try a0000000000. Just leave out the "a" and go "0000000000"
try "mercedes 000 000 00 00" and "000-000-00-00"
More rare, but worth a try, considering the money involved is "mercedes 000 000 0000"

Marcel Kappen in Holland got lots of nos stuff, as does Wenner Mercedes in germany. His second-hands are anyone's guess.
VDH germany has a lot, but you need to be a member, and/or ask a german to member up and do the dirty for you.
Niemoeller Germany sometimes has NOS stuff, but stay away there if there's a chance you could possibly get tricked into buying a bag-less aftermarket part, masked as an MB part.
Silverstarspares in Australia gets NOS stuff quite a bit
Precision Parts in the USA ain t too bad for NOS
German SPOB.. no telling what you're gonna get and not cheap and hardly ever new.
All other top google results you may as well ignore. SLS parts and all the sites that have the word "mercedes" in their domain name. All the same useless database.

jtwoods4

Lots of good information thank you Floyd
1980 300SD

floyd111

If you're looking in Germany and Austria, and people don't list a part number, use "W116 Sitzgestell" or "W116 Kissenrahmen" You might get lucky.

UTn_boy

Stan, those part numbers you gave are for the actual metal seat spring frames.  I believe JT is looking for the excelsior pads.  The part number for the front seat back rest excelsior pad is 123-910-03-16. 

Obviously, if the backrest pad has deteriorated it's very possible that the excelsior pad for the seat bottom has also degraded.  If you choose to replace the seat bottom pad, too, then the part number for this pad is 123-910-04-50. 

Neither pad seems to be available from Mercedes anymore.  The last price shown for the backrest pad was:  Retail $384    Wholesale: $274

However, I know of two companies that offer replacements.  GAHH in California and Cabrio.de in Germany.  Both are pricey, but putting a used one in would be like putting a used oil filter in your engine.  Since you're in the U.S. I'm assuming you'll want to buy here in the U.S.  If so, then you must actually pick up the phone and call GAHH, as their website descriptions are misleading and/or not complete.  These pads they offer are a generic "one fits all" pad, and some trimming/cutting may be necessary when fitting it. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

floyd111

Yeah, I was so engulfed in spring stuff, I just went into one! :)
It's nearly always the springs that are bad when seats are bad, and changing pads is costly, and so often not effective.
if the backrest bottom feels uncomfy, it is likely it is the deep part of the bottom/seat that has gone down too far. That would make this a bottom spring or a bottom pad issue, more than a backrest issue.
Luckily, much of the stuff i wrote about sourcing this stuff is valid for all the parts mentioned.

JT, for future reference, this page gives you all the part numbers, old ones and replacement numbers of all the parts we spoke of here:
https://www.iauto.lt/mercedes-benz/Car/280_SE_141/FRONT_SEATS_707

UTn_boy

I have to somewhat disagree. In 25-30 years I've only seen maybe 4 seat spring frames broken.  So I know they're capable of breaking, especially as they get older, but each and every W116 I've ever seen that was all original had hard, crumbly, and/or completely deteriorated seat pads...... 9 times out of 10.  Even then, I've never ever seen a back rest seat spring break or collapse from wear.  But, you do bring up a valid point.  Often times if the bottom seat spring frame is broken a lot of people won't even know it.  I suppose they get used to leaning while sitting in the seat or maybe they think it feels normal.  I'm not sure.  Either way, JT stated that his padding was deteriorating.  Though, I'm not sure what he meant by "I'd like to just get a replacement drivers seat".  Are you wanting a whole seat, JT, or just a set of excelsior pads?
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

jtwoods4

You guys are correct my springs are fine I think it's the padding that has just slowly deteriorated. To be honest with you it still looks good in the leather is still in good condition but the padding doesn't provide the same support as it used to and my lower back hurts when I'm driving the car for more than an hour.

Yeah I think I can just replace the pads and have the seat recovered. However I was just going to take the easy way out and buy a complete seat so I can just literally unbolt mine take it out and put another one in. That would include the leather the pads the springs and everything.

the leather is still intact but it's going to wear out eventually. the springs are still good but I'm sure they will wear out eventually to. So my idea was just to buy a complete seat with the correct leather color.
1980 300SD