News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Underbody Restoration 6.9

Started by 69ltr, 30 January 2009, 05:52 AM

69ltr

I am currently in the process of stripping back the underside of my 6.9 to bare metal.
I was considering using POR15 on it.
Has anyone used this product? Is it any good?
Or should I just use a good etch prime and topcoat?

This is a pic of the old girl on the rotisserie before I started cleaning the 10mm of rubbery s#it off the underside.

Darren

Big_Richard

respect dude - your taking 116 restoration to a whole new level  8)

alabbasi

I have used POR-15 on the inside floor. It's a good product. It seals well and when it hardens, it adds strength to the floor. There must be some sort of resin in the paint because it does make the floor stronger.

While it is a strong paint, unless you plan to have a show car, I would suggest putting a very thick coat of rubberized under seal on the under side of the car because stones will eventually chip away at the paint. I'm quite sure that you can paint over POR-15 with undercoat. But I don't think you paint over it with paint. There is a paint-able version.

Once dry, POR-15 looks more like powder coat then it does paint.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

TJ 450

I'm very impressed with the extent of your restoration project Mr. 69ltr. You clearly know how to do things properly! ;)

This is W116 restoration, how it was meant to be done.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

Impressive.  Please keep the pictures coming. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

69ltr

Thanks for  that in info alabbasi.The 6.9 will probably only do around 3000km a year on good sealed roads so I will use POR 15.
below is a pic of my finnie that I restored back in 1995-96.It has been painted now for 13 years,and has done 28000km since resto.

As requested ,some pics of ongoing work.

Front Right Sill

Left Floor Near Trans Tunnel.

Boot Seal Rust

More Holes

6.9 Storage

Darren

alabbasi

one more thing, POR-15 doesn't like UV and will bubble up if placed in direct sunlight. It's not so important for the underside of the car but certainly worth a mention.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

s class

Very impressive.  HOw are you stripping back the underside - wire wheels?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

CraigS

POR 15 can be topcoated. I can't recall the exact timing, but you have to do it within a specific period, otherwise you need to use a tie-coat between coatings.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

69ltr

Quote from: s class on 01 February 2009, 02:06 PM

My wife is using a heat gun & scraper and I am using a wire wheel.
We will not be able to get to ALL of it so will have it sandblasted ,aswell as engine bay,door jams,sills & inside boot.
The exterior paint will be removed with paint stripper.

Big_Richard

Quote from: 69ltr on 01 February 2009, 04:29 PM
Quote from: s class on 01 February 2009, 02:06 PM

We will not be able to get to ALL of it so will have it sandblasted ,aswell as engine bay,door jams,sills & inside boot.
The exterior paint will be removed with paint stripper.

There is the other option of acid bathing the entire shell, then you dont have to worry about stripping anything ;)

s class

Quote from: 69ltr on 01 February 2009, 04:29 PM

Wow, what a woman!  Does she have a sister who's single?

pez

I just completed a resto on my '76 450se this past summer, and used POR-15 in a few places....it is a very good product.  However, since you have your car on a rotisserie, I would suggest POR-15 only where necessary to seal and control surface rust. 

I would choose to have the lower half of the car sprayed in heavy duty pickup truck bedliner material http://www.rhinolinings.com/ .  This stuff is indestructible, wears, takes abuse, and won't chip off.  You can do it yourself or you can have someone come to your location and do it.

69ltr

Its been a while since I have had the time to do any more on the 6.9.
Over the past weekend Igot rid of some more rubber from underneath.
It is now ready to go to the restoration company to be sandblasted and primed.

Some more pics will come at different stages of the resto.

All rubber gone & ready for Sandblasting

Left Rear whell arch.

s class

Thanks for the update.  I am very interested in this project.  Exciting stuff.