News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Underbody Restoration 6.9

Started by 69ltr, 30 January 2009, 05:52 AM

s class

Thanks for those pics.  Keep them coming. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

69ltr

Luxury Finishes have put some more pics of the big pig on thier web site.

http://www.luxuryfinishes.com.au/restorations.html

Joe and his team at Luxury Finishes would be only to happy to assist in
any other restoration work that you may have.

69ltr

Some updated pics.

Have got the rear door window glass in and working via a battery jump pack.
They work very smoothly.
All of the vacuum locking now works very well.To get vacuum to it I have used a hand held vac. pump.
It holds vac. for 2 days so far.I cant leave it alone to see if it will hold longer.

Front control arms , streering box ,drag link and tie rods are all in.

Darren

69ltr

Some more pics .
Its a bit slow now. The coin has run out for the moment.

oscar

:o WOW! God that looks so good.

What have you got planned for firewall insulation in the engine bay?  Can you get a new OEM one still, reusing the old one, something custom cut perhaps?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

When it's complete, it looks like it might be ready for entry into the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Now that's a real gleaming beauty.

What a stunner.

nathan

i am not surprised you have run out of coin, that is the shizzle!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

bgiovan

You have inspired me to go all the way 6.9ltr.  Not sure I want to thank or curse you (and Nathan).  Going down a similar path and also am feeling the recession.  Well, Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/detroit-diesel-reboot

SELfor50

Daaaamn.... The best thing I can say is, i'm honoured that this is an Australian 6.9!
Much props.

It is extremely farkn nice dude.  Very very very nice.

A few questions:
Are all the lines brand new?  If so, were they custom made or off the shelf from MB as new lines?

Is the restoration shop doing mostof the work, and are they sourcing new/replacement parts or are you getting parts reconditioned by them and doing some yourself as well?

It's a very very very tasty 6.9 dude.  8)

Cam.

69ltr

oscar,
The firewall is going naked.The old insulation collects crap behind it and creates rust.
The paintwork in the engine bay is too good to cover up.

Cam,
The lines are all original.They were stripper back to bare metal by my wife.
They were then zinc plated.The Brakes lines are silver.The Hydo lines are SA5 which in different light is green,purple.
And the Fuel & Power steering lines are gold.
The resto shop is finished with it. They did the body & paintwork only.Assembly is up to me and my wife.
The parts are being sourced in order of priority.
Chrome wheel arch trims were rechromed.
currently working on having the brightwork chromed.have had a sample done and it looks great.
Powdercoating anything that can be .If not zinc plated.
When I pulled the rear wheel bearing out there were some cruddy looking circlips and dust covers in there
so they are now zinc plated with all of the brake backing plates powdercoated.
New window regs in the rear doors only at this stage.all new clips for brightwork.(cheap)
By the time this thing goes back on the road it will be a NEW car .BUT BETTER BECAUSE IT HAS STEEL BUMPERS.

Darren

WGB

Looks absolutely beautiful.

If you are going for concourse the central steering link and right hand tie rod should be painted in light green.

Bill

s class

I know about the light green colour, but I would have thought both tie rods would be the same colour?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

SELfor50

Quote from: 69ltr on 10 December 2009, 01:38 AM
oscar,
The firewall is going naked.The old insulation collects crap behind it and creates rust.
The paintwork in the engine bay is too good to cover up.

Cam,
The lines are all original.They were stripper back to bare metal by my wife.
They were then zinc plated.The Brakes lines are silver.The Hydo lines are SA5 which in different light is green,purple.
And the Fuel & Power steering lines are gold.
The resto shop is finished with it. They did the body & paintwork only.Assembly is up to me and my wife.
The parts are being sourced in order of priority.
Chrome wheel arch trims were rechromed.
currently working on having the brightwork chromed.have had a sample done and it looks great.
Powdercoating anything that can be .If not zinc plated.
When I pulled the rear wheel bearing out there were some cruddy looking circlips and dust covers in there
so they are now zinc plated with all of the brake backing plates powdercoated.
New window regs in the rear doors only at this stage.all new clips for brightwork.(cheap)
By the time this thing goes back on the road it will be a NEW car .BUT BETTER BECAUSE IT HAS STEEL BUMPERS.

Darren

That's great stuff Darren!!  I need to get my mrs involved in stripping back lines to metal..  8) 8)
I gotta get into this powdercoating stuff... it brings things up beautifully.  I reckon you're on the money for it being a "new car". 
And yep, it'll be heaps better cause it's Klassiker, nichts plastik ;)

Cam.

69ltr

My wife and I had the discussion about concourse (The way that somebody else wanted it) or
bulid it how we want it.
This is a project for the satisfaction of my wife,myself and kids.
I have been through the whole concourse thing when I was judging Mustang concourse.
I had to deduct point on a Shelby as it had Carrol Shelby's signature on the the glove box lid that was done at a car show somewhere
Not at the factory.Factory built cars are assembled by people who will never drive them.Ours will be hand built by people who really have a passion for it.
Attention to detail is everything.

Darren