News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Underbody Restoration 6.9

Started by 69ltr, 30 January 2009, 05:52 AM

TJ 450

Quote from: vlv8vic on 17 June 2009, 05:23 AM
dear god that is a beautiful sight......
It is, indeed. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

69ltr

Hi s class,
After all of the questions that I was asking at the start of this thread we have ,in the end,
had underneath sandblasted then epoxy pimer , then stone guard, then Delfleet satin black from PPG.
Under the guards is epoxy primer,stoneguard,then the body colour from PPG.
The body colour is a special mix that my wife and I both chose.
No arguement now if she doesnt like it.
I LOVE IT.

The engine bay was painted today.

69ltr

I have put a few other pics from the start till now in the gallery/garage/rotisserie

s class

Hi 69ltr.  Thanks for your answer.  I guess then my question is, which brand/product is the stoneguard you've used.  I like the appearance of it. 

Thanks, Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Yesmar

- Ramsey

69ltr

My deepest apologies to s class for not getting back with an answer.
Bloody work.
Here it is.
It is a 3M product called Body Schultz Black Textured .The number on the can is 08861.
Once this was applied it then had Delfleet Satin Black over the top of the 3M stuff.

Some more progress has been made on the top side of the car.
I guess it isnt Underbody Restoration any more.

Just got all the bolts,nuts,powersteering pipes ,etc back from the zinc platers.
They look great.
All front suspension components satin black powder coated.

Darren

bb

This is the first time I have come across this thread and all I can say is wow, just wow! The pinnacle of restoration work!

s class

Thanks 69ltr.

I have been wrestling with the epoxy vs etch primer debate.  the pros on the spraypainting forums seem to favour epoxy over bare metal, especially for restoration of older cars.  Standox (my preferred paint) seem to recommend one of their excellent etch primers.  Hmmm. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

pez

I have some personal experience with both....and I would recommend the epoxy based primer, as long as it compatible with the paint system you are using.

The epoxy based primer sticks better, flexes more, and generally keeps rust out better.  However, my experience is also that you really need to lay it on smoothly, because it's not going to sand up super smooth like a regular self etching primer does.  Not a big deal, because you will put a high build sealer over it anyway, which will sand as smooth as a babies bottom.

s class

Thanks pez, your comments fairly summarise the feelings of the US based forums I consult.  they generally use du Pont, PPG etc.  The standox system I use differs a bit from these in its makeup. Standox have only one epoxy primer, and they don't push its use.  They tend to rather push their several etch primers. 

The self etch property has always appealed to me.  What would I be loosing out by starting with an epoxy over the bare metal?

69ltr

Hi everyone

It is nearly ready to come home and start the reassembly .

Darren

Big_Richard

awesome work ;)

I hope you remember how to put it all back together!

69ltr

I am keeping the parts car as intact as I can to copy everything, including what size,type of bolt or screw to replace with as all
of my bolts and screws were all put together to be zinc plated.

The kids had fun sorting out the same size bolts and bagging them.

69ltr

Got the body back yesterday and have started to put some bits back on.

We will have the majority of the front end components back next week
and should be able to put some front wheels on it soon.

TJ 450

It looks like it's all going back together nicely. I can't wait to see the final result... it will be a work of art.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500