News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

UMB690 is in recess.

Started by WGB, 29 April 2009, 08:26 AM

WGB

AMG69 purchased the personal number plates on my 6.9 - UMB690 - and I purchased them off  him when I purchased the car.

There were a couple of issues with the plates which caused some difficulties with the transfer of ownership - the biggest was that an unregistered and encumbered Holden Station Wagon in South Australia shared the same Rego Number and had somehow locked itself into the REVS Computer as my car.

My rego papers also give the number as UMB690 but at the bottom they are referred to as UMB690-8. This suggests to me there are seven other users of the same number in Australia.

On Anzac Day last Saturday I was cruising into my usual Saturday morning hospital round when I was tailed by the local constabulary who pulled me over and asked my to explain why I was driving an unregistered car.

I said "I don't think so" and pointed to the current rego sticker. This apparently wasn't considered adequate proof of registration and as I didn't have the rego papers and accompanying receipt with me he reminded me he could order me to have my car towed home.

I said I was just a law abiding Doctor on his Saturday morning rounds to which he demanded proof of my Medical Qualifications. As I don't normally carry my Diplomas and practising certificate in any of my cars I did point out to him that my name had been painted on the two Medical Surgeries adjacent to the two local Police Stations for 24 years and my Driver's Licence with Photo at least proved I was me.

No infringement notice was written out and somewhat shattered I continued on my way.

He had demanded that I return to their Station with my Rego Papers and receipt on the Holiday Monday - I did (40 minute return drive)and the Station was locked and empty. I returned to my local Police Station at Kalamunda and presented my documents to a perplexed Duty Constable.

On arrival home I said to my wife that I didn't want those plates on my car any more as this was the third hiccup with them and so I decided to retrieve an old set of Plates that I purchased at the first Plate auction in Western Australia in May 1985 and had been on mine and most family members cars over the years.

During the plate transfer at Midland Licensing Centre the lady behind the counter confirmed that my 6.9 was correctly registered and that I was the third person that day that had had the same problem over the weekend and that the Police had a problem with their computer.

Anyway here is a picture of my 24 year old plates affixed to my car. Those who know me will know that this is simply my surname as it has been for all members of my family for the past 1,000 years and no other intent is meant or implied.

You will see that flash photography affects the quality of the reflection and the letters are actually a royal blue in colour.

If you photograph the plate with a flash from an angle the letters disappear and those of you who know how Police Slant Radar Cameras work will realise the usefulness and economy this has been in the past - and it's all quite legal.

So there you are.

Bill

oscar

Bill that's incredible what a hassle it's been to use the UMB plate.

As for the new one..... I love it and well, even though it's a surname and a bloody cool one at that, your 6.9 looks sleek and mischievous as is.  It's always going to attract attention but with dark windows and "BABE" number plates and a mo' IIRC, man I reckon the constabulary will be looking at you even more and everyone else will be looking, wanting to be you.

Go one step further.  You need this sticker   ;D  Not sure if they make one in the plural form for when the family's travelling along.

I still reckon DRBABE should be your plate.  (unless it's already on the ML and if it isn't, it should be) ;)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

Hi Oscar,

Here is a picture showing the two ML's with their plates - you might recognise the initials on mine (The one showing off by raising itself up on it's air suspension)

And here is a bumhole view with the suspension in Sport Mode (Lowered)

Seem to have less trouble from the Police with these  ;D

Bill

TJ 450

That sounds like it's been a real hassle. It's good to hear that it's finally over.

I like the style of the new old plates... simple but effective and very clean looking. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

Ah yes, I forgot that's what the plate was on the ML.  But yes, the two ML's look very respectable. 
W164s look so good and the sport mode with the purposeful rear mud gaurds on the 500 make it look like it's all set for a tarmac section in a rally.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

zedster

OK, what does UMB690 stand for? Sorry if it is a dumb question.
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

WGB

The plate was a personalised re-issue of some period Western Australian Plates from the 1960's and 1970's.

They had to have three letters followed by three numbers.

The "U" was the extra letter that was needed and AMG69 said it looked the best of the options.

MB is a bit obvious and 690 because it is a 6.9 litre and if M-B had not been protecting its' Grosser 600 range the car by rights should have been labelled a 690SEL and not a 450SEL 6.9 as it ended up.

Bill

nathan

Bill,
go the whole hog and get some euro plates. those things are damn expensive!!
if you are a member of the AMA, they produce these medical cards like a drivers licence saying to the effect, yes i was speeding like a fruitloop but please excuse.
i got one a few years back when graduating but havent needed it as i drive almost as slow as TJ
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

TJ 450

At the time when the U-Series number plates were current in the 1960s, all plates Australia wide shared the same three letter- three number format. The first letter was state specific and U followed by X was assigned to Western Australia. The X-Series plates were around in the 70's. In the late 70's this was abandoned in favour of the 6AA 111 format (WA Specific), which went through to the nineties. It then changed over to the much more sensible 1AAA 111 format, which is the current version.

So, in theory, if UMB 690 was sold new in Western Australia, it would have had the 6AA 111 plates.

If you were lucky, it could have had the "WA - The Golden State" slogan, but I think that came in the early 80's.  ;D 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 29 April 2009, 08:00 PM

If you were lucky, it could have had the "WA - The Golden State" slogan, but I think that came in the early 80's.  ;D 8)

Tim

also the "state of excitement" (majorly false advertising)
and the "home of the America's cup" ;)

AMG69

oh dear, sorry about all that Bill!  ::)  never had any issues - but I guess I was married to a cop!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

peterq

I replaced the beaten up WA plates with UK made plates that matched the local colours and style but looked a lot better - - but I was pulled over and told I had to put the old ones back. It seems beaten up original Govt issue plates are the only type allowed here.
I've since switched to local Bridgetown plates and got B313. Couldn't do that now as they're no longer remaking and re-issuing plates that have been turned in so my quest for B69 or B690 has been cancelled.

Maat1985

as far as i know in queensland you can paint your own plates.... not sure if this is true and not sure bout anywhere else but i have seen some really cool plate from queensland with designs on the etc... aslong as it is the reflective paint..... dunno if it is true but would like to know if it is and if so why not elsewhere.....
DRIVER - 1977 W116 280SEL Orange....
PARTS - 1977 W116 280SE White....
DECEASED - 1977 W116 280SE Maple Yellow....
DECEASED - 1976 W116 280SE Green....

69ltr

Hi all
My mate used to work for Qld. Transport.
He was the one who had to test new plate colours from Personalised Plates Queensland for thier reflectiveness
for the speed cameras.Red letters with white background were very popular with Linfox Tronsport as the infra red cameras
were having a lot of trouble detecting this combination.
There are a lot of different colours available and ,NO,you cant paint your own as another mate found out with his Harley.
$80 fine.

Darren