News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by James R, 23 December 2006, 08:37 AM

James R

Help !

Just got my 450SEL back from the shop. New sills.  ;D ;D

Problem is that I need new tyres too and I'm having a real hard time finding 205/70/14s in either an H or V speed rating (preferably V). I want a good quality tyre (Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Avon etc.) but it seems that no one makes them with either the correct speed rating or, if they do, only with a 15 inch rim. Anyone else had problems ? Moreover, anyone else got any solutions !?

Thanks for the help.

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

James R

PS.....I should mention that the tyres I specified in my previous post are the ones that seem to be specified in the manual for the standard wheels.

JR
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

James R

Thanks, Styria. Yes, I did look at the previous posts made by our esteemed colleagues but those answers are for different questions. That's why I posted my own question.  :o

Ho hum.  ;)

Never mind. I've done some more research and it seems that Michelin XWX are the only ones that really fit the bill unless you go for a crappier brand with a lower speed rating. In the UK, there really does not appear to be any choice if you want 205 70 14s with a V rating or even with the lower H rating. Oh well, there goes another £800. In for a penny, in for a pound / dollar / yen / denarius.

During my research, I found a company called Vintage Tyres who have a very useful website. www.vintagetyres.com I hope this is useful for anyone else with a similar problem.

All the very best for Xmas.

James

1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Brian Crump

James, I recently fitted Michelin XM1 to my 450SE - 205-70-14 H. They were the only ones available from the Michelin range. They are OK but don't have much bight when turning into a corner....
Regards,
Brian Crump

adamb

Hi James,

You shouldn't have problems getting H-rated 205/70/14 tyres in UK. I just fitted Toyos at the back of my 6.9. About 3 years ago the front got Goodyear Eagles.

Adam