News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Tyre size for 1979 280SE

Started by hamidagha, 20 October 2020, 03:23 PM

Engineerd3d

I do not have the steel wheels. I have the bund wheels on my 300sd.

With that said I went for a 215/70R14 tire. I paid about 70$ per tire installed. So far over 2k miles and very happy with them.

hamidagha

Update: I went ahead and bought a set of Vredestein as per Max-NL suggested. They look good and drives well. I feel much more comfortable on the long drives now
9BF167AA-A223-4DD1-B9DB-DABF923AC90B.jpeg

Scotty

Question to the assemblage: were the tyre sizes standard across the range in all jurisdictions?

SteveDuNord

Am I right that W123 came with 15 inch steelies?

I'd prefer the larger diameter rim while keeping the hub caps. I'm assuming the tyre size range would increase?
'77 280se

BCDC

These cars are cruisers. Leave the standard rims and tyres on please. Hub caps on the small engine SE cars look good and suit the class of vehicle. The looks are subtle but important to differentiate from the "muscle" ones. Also the drivability was taken into account by the designers so stick with it. They do actually know best. My 280SE does all it needs too and more if I'm feeling frisky. These cars are incredible as they left the factory all those years ago, why change that?

BCDC   
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

SteveDuNord

Quote from: BCDC on 13 July 2022, 07:01 PMThese cars are cruisers. Leave the standard rims and tyres on please. Hub caps on the small engine SE cars look good and suit the class of vehicle. The looks are subtle but important to differentiate from the "muscle" ones. Also the drivability was taken into account by the designers so stick with it. They do actually know best. My 280SE does all it needs too and more if I'm feeling frisky. These cars are incredible as they left the factory all those years ago, why change that?

BCDC   

Agree to an extent, but we also have to factor in cost saving and downgrading the 'lesser' models to add cachet to the higher end models. Less standard equipment, smaller rims and so on.

In my case, the existing rims need refreshing and my tyres are slightly out of spec. So IF a slightly larger wheel opens up tyre choice and perhaps gives a better ride, which it may do, then why not?
'77 280se

BCDC

The biggest problem with cost for tyres here in Australia for the W116 is the speed rating needs to cover what it says in the specs for top speed. A 280SE has 200km/h top speed according to the specifications, so the tyres needs that speed rating. There is no way I'm ever going to check the top speed for my car but that is the law for tyre chose for this vehicle. Given that the tyres for my work ute cost about $100 more that the W116, it's not a huge issue for me. I agree that if you can get some improvement in ride, then go for it if it pleases you. The other thing about larger diameter wheels the speed change compared to the dash read out, so check that change with a GPS.

rumb

My AMG GTS does 193 mph, but the best Michelins are rated 186 mph. Even MB doesnt ship these cars new with speed rated tires. Are there even any of these cars in Australia?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

BCDC

There are a few of those cars available here, but I think that speed is unlikely on our roads. Good point though that Mercedes can't fit tyres rated for the top speed.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/mercedes-benz/amg-gt/s-badge/