News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

two tone Paint for a 116 SEL

Started by Aluminum, 28 November 2014, 11:59 PM

Aluminum

So any information or Photos of such a Two Tone Paint Job from anyone here by chance ?
I already Know that to keep a Car Original has great value so don't need help to learn that thanks .
I Have this Very nice except the top 1975 Mercedes 450 SEL that had the paint damaged by a Concrete Highway Job  and resulting was very costly Re Paint job for the car . Was completely striped of all trim and Prepared for paint resulting in a still good paint job when I bought the car.
EXCEPT the Top . Has some slight rust around the sunroof in area's some 4 to 5 inches long causing paint lifting . Also has some strange spots on paint on the top / roof .
So the idea to two Tone the car came to me .
To repair and prepare the top of the car and just paint the top of the car . Plan was to use a Chrome stripe from a 280 where the Rear Roof / Top come's down to the Main Body of the car just behind the rear doors curving toward the rear windshield . This Chrome would break the color . The other possibility would be to try to match the color as close as possible and still use the chrome stripe to cover any slight miss match . Is no way I know of to try to blend new paint to old paint .
Just some photos from the net to show some two tone Jobs  they are out there . I doubt this would hurt the value as the value is not all that much anyway ?
I Could just tape off the colors at between the top / roof and the lower body but think that would look very bad
The solid color SEL is my Car . Other Photos are from the net not my cars .

marku

One of your photos has a chrome trim on the bottom of the C-Pillar. Its from a W123 and fits perfectly with a body coloured strip inset. I think looks good and fitted one to the 450SE. Mine has a vinyl roof which originally I thought of removing but grew to like it. Trouble was I did not like the way they had finished it on the C-Pillar but then saw a W123 with the trim fitted. Available new from MB but not cheap! 
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Aluminum

Quote from: marku on 30 November 2014, 02:39 PM
One of your photos has a chrome trim on the bottom of the C-Pillar. Its from a W123 and fits

That's Very Interesting Thanks for comment > Yes I Noted at salvage Yards that some Mercedes like 280 models had the Chrome  trim at the bottom of the C Pillar ( Did not know it's called a C Pillar ) . I Did not have a Tape Measure with me but I am wondering if the C Pillar is the same width along the bottom from a 123 model as a 116 Model SEL is possible the Trim may be different and involve more then just adding 1 piece but perhaps not .

Next time to Salvage I well be sure to bring a Tape Measure and the Measurements needed with me .  With the Wine color of the Car Currently ,  a Linen ( Beige ) color might look good on top , Some original Light Mercedes Color . But not Black over The Wine Red .
From the net another two Town Mercedes  a 6.3

marku

The chrome strip on the 6.3 is different and will not fit as the trim round the rear window is more square. It would seem that the C-Pillar on the W123 is the same as the W116 although it appears to be a smaller car. I took a gamble and bought them from MB and they fitted perfectly. It finishes against the rear window trim with a swept point and with an inset body coloured panel that echoes the trim on the sides of the front screen. They look really good and finish the roof colour off.

Part nos are A123 690 27 80 Side moulding, A123 690 28 80 Side moulding, A123 698 07 30 Cover, A123 698 08 30 Cover, N000000 000453 Screws x4, N00 433 005304 Washers x4.

Not cheap but well worth having and although obviously not original to the W116 they work really well if the roof is a different colour.

Aluminum

Quote from: marku on 02 December 2014, 01:56 PM
The chrome strip on the 6.3 is different and will not fit as the trim round the rear window is more square. It would seem that the C-Pillar on the W123 is the same as the W116 although it appears to be a smaller car. I took a gamble and bought them from MB and they fitted perfectly. It finishes against the rear window trim with a swept point and with an inset body coloured panel that echoes the trim on the sides of the front screen. They look really good and finish the roof colour off.

Part nos are A123 690 27 80 Side moulding, A123 690 28 80 Side moulding, A123 698 07 30 Cover, A123 698 08 30 Cover, N000000 000453 Screws x4, N00 433 005304 Washers x4.
Now your car is a 450 SE Correct ?  so now we know the W123 well fit the 450 SE .  Mine is a 450 SEL so just not sure however lots of W123 SE here in the salvage yards so I well check  next time I am their .
Thank you for the information any Photos ? I notice  the rear windshield Chrome trim  has some tight bends and am wondering about the alignment . So screws and washers hold the clips for the trim. Everything at the dealership mostly is costly , very low cost involved at salvage .

arman

Marku do you have pictures of your W116 with vinyl roof and W123 trim on the bottom of the C-pillar? Quite curious...  ;D
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

Aluminum

Quote from: arman on 03 December 2014, 04:35 AM
Marku do you have pictures of your W116 with vinyl roof and W123 trim on the bottom of the C-pillar? Quite curious...  ;D
I also would like to see his Photos
we saw a mid 80's 300 D yesterday and it had the the trim .
some photos from the net  a 82 and a 83 300 D

arman

Well I thought all of the W123 models had this trim (not the coupé's), at least I haven't seen a W123 sedan without them. But I didn't expect it to fit on a W116.
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

marku

I have seen W123s without. Only came across it by accident in an online photo and it took some finding on the EPC. In the end just asked MB Classic for it. Was a bit nervous that it would not fit given the cost but it did - perfectly and I think it a real improvement.

marku

Have thought about posting photos on the forum and have had people point me at lots of tutorials on how to do it but still have not got round to it.

Aluminum

Quote from: marku on 04 December 2014, 01:26 PM
Have thought about posting photos on the forum and have had people point me at lots of tutorials on how to do it but still have not got round to it.
Is so simple : just make the Photos small like under 200 KB and click attachments and a box well open for you to chose your Photos then wait until they load not long and publish your post

marku

oversize

The blue over navy car is one of mine and I was toying with the idea of two tones via Photoshop.  Not sure if I'll go down that path now
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Aluminum

Hello down under :)
Yes still debating on color myself lol    the top is damaged around the sunroof paint pealing , rust a bit .
Thinking of a Light stock MB color on top like Linen color.
happy Holiday Season

marku

Doing the roof a darker colour than the body looks OK. A darker shade of the body colour.