News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

two tone Paint for a 116 SEL

Started by Aluminum, 28 November 2014, 11:59 PM

Aluminum

I would Prefer a lighter color on top always .
A darker Color on the bottom Grounds the Car just like a house .
But to each their own to be happy with your car is what's important

I expect your thinking of a black Vinyl top perhaps not sure .

marku

Take your point but I think that the darker colour for the roof really emphasises the line of the body making it appear long and quite low. The vinyl on the 450 is a dark green over a silver green body which is quite light. When I first got it I was resigned to stripping the vinyl as non-original but I grew to like it and now prefer the contrast. The roof doesn't stand out at all which I think a lighter colour would do.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

s class

A capable body shop should have no problem matching the paint colour and making an undetectable paint blend at the top of the C pillar. 

In my shop we do this kind of thing regularly on W111 coupes etc, even with metallic colours. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Aluminum

Quote from: s class on 12 December 2014, 02:33 AM
A capable body shop should have no problem matching the paint colour and making an undetectable paint blend at the top of the C pillar. 

In my shop we do this kind of thing regularly on W111 coupes etc, even with metallic colours.

Great: where is your shop ? 
I have had that sort of work done before and it never matched yet but I am willing to try but no match no pay and no flat spot at the blend area . paint is Metallic , Looks like 3 hrs + Paint  how much ?

Aluminum

:) as kind of expected no reply ya when you say no match no pay >>>
I don't think it can be done like they say in Missouri show me 

Beastie

Quote from: Aluminum on 14 December 2014, 11:39 AM
Great: where is your shop ? 
I have had that sort of work done before and it never matched yet but I am willing to try but no match no pay and no flat spot at the blend area . paint is Metallic , Looks like 3 hrs + Paint  how much ?
He lives in South Africa. ;)
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

s class

Yes, I stand by no match no pay, but I live in South Africa, so may not be practical for you.  Sorry for the delayed response, I only check in on this forum a couple of times a week. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

marku

Great that you can guarantee a match but isn't there a problem with fading on a 40 year old car? Would have thought that the darker colours would be more of a problem but even on mine (silver green metallic) there is some evidence of lightening.

oversize

In a warm climate the last thing you want is a dark coloured roof!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

marku

floyd111

I have also toyed with the two-tone idea.
I would ask the users here once more to add any such real or fake W116 pictures if they have them, especially a W116 with a white roof.

floyd111

never mind the wheels, but check out the 2-tone!

Aluminum

I Like the Grounded Feel with the light color over the darker color .
Car looks very classy . Personally I like the off white colors or warm whites like a Linen color White.

with a dark Color on top the car starts to splash all over the place as if slightly drunk .
Houses are the same way always a darker floor the the walls well ground the room and keep you from feeling dizzy
thanks for the Photo Post