News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Trip Meter Issue and Cluster Lights

Started by carzilike, 05 June 2021, 04:47 PM

carzilike

Hello 116 World,

I bought my 116 not long ago and noticed my instrument cluster light was out.
The cluster was not sitting in there as snug as it could have so I pulled it out by wiggling it left and right to see if I can switch the bulbs and get some lights in the cluster...
BAD IDEA. I have moved the trip gears out of alignment and now the gears spin to 0009 and get stuck and therefore odometer doesn't work.
The only workaround I have found is holding the trip reset button while driving and that lets odometer work as it should and keeps the trip at 0000..
Do you guys think that I may have a quick fix at hand or should I let the professionals handle it?

I have looked at people's DIYs on how to pull the cluster out and disconnect the cables... I am not so sure I can do this given my lack of knowledge and tools... I am in no way a mechanic

https://youtu.be/PjdDRodIjoE
Here's a video of the issue
I am almost afraid to try anything now that I've read people have fried their boards and run into much worse issues..
I didn't even have the battery disconnected when I initially pulled the cluster out (I didn't disconnect anything from the cluster - just pulled out a few bulbs and tried changing them which made no difference - still no lights)

rumb

Welcome to the forum.

The lights are probably the rheostat.  It needs replaced, or some just add a jumper wire so they are bright all the time.

The odo will need to be sent out to be repaired.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

raueda1

Quote from: carzilike on 05 June 2021, 04:47 PM
Hello 116 World,

I bought my 116 not long ago and noticed my instrument cluster light was out.
The cluster was not sitting in there as snug as it could have so I pulled it out by wiggling it left and right to see if I can switch the bulbs and get some lights in the cluster...
BAD IDEA. I have moved the trip gears out of alignment and now the gears spin to 0009 and get stuck and therefore odometer doesn't work.
The only workaround I have found is holding the trip reset button while driving and that lets odometer work as it should and keeps the trip at 0000..
Do you guys think that I may have a quick fix at hand or 1.  should I let the professionals handle it?

2.  I have looked at people's DIYs on how to pull the cluster out and disconnect the cables... I am not so sure I can do this given my lack of knowledge and tools... I am in no way a mechanic

https://youtu.be/PjdDRodIjoE
Here's a video of the issue
I am almost afraid to try anything now that I've read 3. people have fried their boards and run into much worse issues..
I didn't even have the 4.  battery disconnected when I initially pulled the cluster out (I didn't disconnect anything from the cluster - just pulled out a few bulbs and tried changing them which made no difference - still no lights)
I recently went through some very similar issues.  So, to expand on rumb's remarks, which are spot on......

1.  Yes, send it out.  You can't do it.  Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCwk3DjkAbE
I'm not sure where you are, but if in North America just use the guy that Kent suggests.  I did and it's perfect.

2.  LOL, you're a mechanic now!  Getting the cluster out really isn't too bad, as jobs go, but you'll need to do it.  Do a search for the process, you're not the first.  Unless you have tiny lemur-hands the challenge is getting enough slack on the stuff behind the cluster to undo it all.  The easiest way in my experience is to remove the panels in the footwell to get to the speedometer cable.  You can unscrew that (by hand) which lets you pull the cluster out a bit further.  You can then unscrew the cable on the back of the cluster and unplug everything.  Take care with the oil pressure tube.  That needs to be carefully unscrewed.

3.  I never heard of people frying boards, but who knows.  Maybe they forgot to disconnect the battery.  Don't worry about since you're going to.....

4. Disconnect the battery.  Also take pictures.

Good luck!
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

carzilike

Anyone in CANADA that can recommend me to someone that can rebuild the odometer? Thank you

Nabstud

If you do take the cluster out DO NOT start the car until you have properly sealed the oil gauge feed, otherwise oil will squirt out and stain your interior...
1975 280S - Australian delivered