News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Tow bar

Started by Casey, 01 September 2011, 03:10 PM

Casey

I'd quite like a tow bar for my 300SD, either factory or otherwise very good quality.  Any suggestions where I could find one?

Big_Richard

Someone on here may be able to help you out - they were quite common in Australia, so common infact they usually get chucked out  ::)

I got mine years ago from fellow enthusiast Oscar, who lives way, way ,way over the other side of this desert island..

Postage to the states may be a touch on the ludicrous side though

jmperkins

Hi,
I have no idea where you are located but I bought my tow bar at http://www.campingworld.com/stores/ at one of their locations in Vacaville, CA for my wife's '78 280SE. This was probably 7 years ago and don't seem to see the one I bought then today on their website.

I can try to dig up the details tomorrow if you are interested as now I am on a flight home.

Cheers,
Joe
Berkeley, CA

Casey

Quote from: jmperkins on 01 September 2011, 07:29 PM
Hi,
I have no idea where you are located but I bought my tow bar at http://www.campingworld.com/stores/ at one of their locations in Vacaville, CA for my wife's '78 280SE. This was probably 7 years ago and don't seem to see the one I bought then today on their website.

I can try to dig up the details tomorrow if you are interested as now I am on a flight home.

I'm in the eastern USA.  I spent a couple years in Berkeley incidentally, great place. :)

oscar

There seems to be two aussie built aftermarket Hayman Reece towbars that are common in Aus.  The one that's on my 350 and the other is what MT has which I think we both agree seems more heavy duty.  If you don't find any in the US you could always get one custom made.  I'll have to take measurements of another one I have, NFS  ;) so anyone could get one manufactured.  There was a member in the US, jjccp that got a fella to make up one from scratch based on the type that's on my 350.  There is of course an OEM one too but seem rare in Aus as most went went aftermarket for some reason.

Anyhow, this is from an old post, the first four photos are of the one on my 350, then the following are of the "heavy duty" type.

1st type

2nd type

Right way up as fitted.

Towball attachment

Long Extension to the left of spare wheel well

This Short Extension attaches to where the rear recovery/tow hook is.  Though it  looks like it's been ground off. 

Different view, right way up.

Upside down

Upside down view - Long Extension attachment

Upside down view - Short Extension up top.  Top support is on the ground

Long Extension's bolts and plates

Top support's bolts.  Nuts are welded to the Top Support

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

Casey

Got a picture of the 2nd type installed from the rear of the vehicle?

I must say it does seem much better than the 1st type...

Big_Richard

The second type, which Oscar sent to me many years ago does require grinding off the rear tow loop welded to the chassis, as it also bolts into that chassis rail.

I don't know what its rated for weight wise, but after i cleaned it up, painted it and installed it with a new stainless steel ball I used it to move out of home for the first time with a large furniture trailer. Its why i wanted one in the first place.

The CURT branded one shown in the webshop will be fine, as long as you do not exceed its weight limit. I would seriously not consider driving anything bigger than a small 6 x 4 box trailer with it.

oscar

Yeah, I'd agree, very light duty.  Instructions say 1500lb 680kg with 150lb 68kg ball weight, which limits you to a 6x4 not heavily loaded.  My issue is that you or a future owner might forget and tow something heavier.  The other thing, the instructions say the mounting bolts near the ball end go into the rear bumper.  I don't know how US bumpers are constructed or how strong they are in this regard but two bolts in Euro bumpers would see Euros bow in no time.  The usual factory or aftermarket standard light duty setup on Aussie Ford and Holden sedans are rated at around 3500lb 1600kg, 350lb 160kg ball weight.  >5000lb+ 2300kg are the heavy duty types.  I wonder what the ratings are on the ones I've shown.

Quote from: Raptelan on 02 September 2011, 08:54 AM
Got a picture of the 2nd type installed from the rear of the vehicle?
I'll have to rummage round but I'm not sure I took any close ups other than what's in that other post above.

From instructions sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterlibrary/11616/installsheet/CM_11616_INS.pdf

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Squiggle Dog

I want to add a tow hitch to my 300SD as well. I've seen the CURT ones before and they seem to be a good design, however, they render inoperable the shock absorbers in the bumper. Also, I would like to be able to pull more weight and I want a receiver hitch so I can add a cargo basket like this one:

I'd also like a folding hitch adaptor so I can fold it out of the way:

I have a very heavy bicycle and a standard bicycle carrier won't do. I'd like a cargo basket with an arm that will hold the bicycle so that transporting it will be easy.

Having a receiver would make the hitch much more versatile and it could be removed so that if the car was rear-ended the bumper would still do its job. I want to make one like the Euro-spec cars have where it attaches to the area behind the bumper, not the bumper itself. Much like the home-made one pictured here. I also want to make one with a fancy wire harness holder that is made out of the stock Mercedes adaptors that fit between the taillights and the taillight wiring harness. I wish I could find a picture of them (my roommates' 1962 220S has them).
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Casey

Dude, I used to have a bike just like that, and dearly want another one...with all the big rigid baskets and all...

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Raptelan on 03 September 2011, 12:40 AM
Dude, I used to have a bike just like that, and dearly want another one...with all the big rigid baskets and all...

It's only been in recent years that I've been driving. Before I had my current job I usually couldn't afford to drive so I had to ride a bicycle to get around. Hanging many bags of groceries off of the handlebars was not practical. It's amazing how useful those large baskets are. One time when an International Travelall I used to own broke its rear axle I carried a spare differential from the wrecking yard in the front basket of a similar bicycle.

I used to be a professional bicycle mechanic and really love vintage bicycles. I used to have many, but in recent years I haven't had the time or money for them and only have this one. I started with a new Schwinn cruiser and accessorized it. I built the wheels from scratch using imported Sturmey-Archer hubs (drum brake in front and 3 speed coaster in rear) and stainless steel spokes which I had cut to my measurements and I laced them myself.

I used to own the bicycle below. I started with a stock Schwinn cruiser and accessorized it. I borrowed about $600 from my roommate so that I could buy and accessorize it. Right after I paid him back someone stole it. Really sad because I didn't have any other transportation at the time and I had to walk a mile or two carrying heavy grocery bags. And yes, I did keep it locked.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

WGB

Here is a third type of towbar that AMG69 had fitted to my 6.9 before I purchased the car from him.

Apparently he towed a horse float with it on one occasion before deciding a 4WD was a better option.

It bolts to the bumper bolts in a similar way to Oscar's version but has a long support that bolts to the two rear subframe mount bolts - it has been modified to allow the rear axle height control lever to clear it.

There is no requirement to drill any holes except for the wiring harness but I am not sure how it coped with a horse float and I am glad he only used it once.

I have since removed it as I own a Ford Falcon with towbar for my occasional forays to the tip with trailer.

The towbars of 20 to 30 years ago were usually sold as 750kg and 1200kg capacity in Western Australia - 750kg was the maximum allowable trailer weight with a single unbraked axle although I have one of the last 1 tonne single axle trailers legally registered that I had manufactured in 1987.

I would hesitate to conjecture that Oscar's is the 750 kg version and MT's is the 1200kg version.

Bill

Squiggle Dog

Wow, that last tow bar looks like a winner, only I would make one with a receiver hitch on the end.