News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Tow bar

Started by Casey, 01 September 2011, 03:10 PM

TJ 450

Bill's towbar looks familiar... I have (had) a similar one fitted to the 6.9.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Casey

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 03 September 2011, 03:23 AM
I used to own the bicycle below. I started with a stock Schwinn cruiser and accessorized it. I borrowed about $600 from my roommate so that I could buy and accessorize it. Right after I paid him back someone stole it. Really sad because I didn't have any other transportation at the time and I had to walk a mile or two carrying heavy grocery bags. And yes, I did keep it locked.

That's crazy that several of us W116 owners also had cruisers with those baskets.  Mine was stolen as well, as was every other bike I owned while living in Berkeley, CA.  I really want to get another one - been thinking about an Electra...

Big_Richard

I like that bicycle, looks well constructed and has a comfortable seat.

A bit different to our local bikes where the seats of choice may as well be just the pole that disappears up your backside / results in "crushed nuts"

powerglide

Every W116 I have seen seems to have a bloody tow bar, and I have NEVER encountered a DB original item - rare, I think, and have you ever wondered why that might be?  My 350SE had a Hayman Reese badly fitted whereby they used a file to make oval the side bumper mount holes, along with other acts of butchery. It went down the tip, and I managed to fix the mess. My 280SE has a similar tow bar fitted slightly better, and I will happily donate it to anyone who wants it - you pay all the costs associated with getting it off the car and sending it to you. Abomination, take it! And then there is the wiring harness socket - take that too.  Mail to the US shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred. Less by sea, via Terra del Fuego or something. I had a great grandfather from the US, and that may account for my affection for the Land of the Free, so I really shouldn't be sending my rubbish there, should I?
Powerglide

Big_Richard

I devirginised my 6.9 - it had never ever had a tow bar installed until I put on one - I must be one of the lucky few.

As the owner of a trailer it was slightly ludicrous not having a vehicle with a tow bar  8)

Having said that, I think my beloved 6x4 box trailer purchased new in 1994 and driven all around the country with its terminal cancer is getting its last drive ever in the coming week - down to the tip where its licence plate will be removed and its tires dumped in the recycling bin for $6 each. A tragic end to a well traveled life.

Casey

The one I got from the junkyard today is yet a different type, custom fabricated.  It doesn't have a receiver hitch but that could be welded on easily enough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pugI0Aco-DE

Squiggle Dog

Nice score! You know, you could remove the bars that were welded onto the body at the tow loop area and instead have some thick bars added that go up to the bumper shock area, but instead have holes so that they bolt up on the bottom two bumper shock bolts. Then you wouldn't have to do any welding onto your car.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Casey

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 02 October 2011, 08:40 PM
Nice score! You know, you could remove the bars that were welded onto the body at the tow loop area and instead have some thick bars added that go up to the bumper shock area, but instead have holes so that they bolt up on the bottom two bumper shock bolts. Then you wouldn't have to do any welding onto your car.

I'm pretty sure putting that much load on single horizontal bolts would be a pretty bad idea...  I'm not sure what I'll do to replace the bars I cut off but that big support bar is staying right as it is.  I'll re-weld it exactly as it came off.

TJ 450

It looks up to the task for sure.

I don't think I've ever seen one welded on though.

I guess they don't look that pretty, but having a tow bar is very, very useful.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Casey

Quote from: Raptelan on 02 October 2011, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure putting that much load on single horizontal bolts would be a pretty bad idea...

Also Squiggle, consider what those bolts screw into - it's rather weak chassis metal I think, or is this part of the frame?

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Raptelan on 03 October 2011, 08:33 AM
Also Squiggle, consider what those bolts screw into - it's rather weak chassis metal I think, or is this part of the frame?

It might be part of the frame, but I'll see. I know that many of the hitches I have seen use that area to bolt in, so there might be at least some strength there. Since this is where the bumper bolts in, I imagine the area would need to be strong enough to take an impact.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+