News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

To fit OEM mudflaps or not?

Started by gregdeklerk, 21 February 2007, 12:24 AM

gregdeklerk

I have a set lying in the garage and they are apparantly not available from the dealers here any more. My problem is that I don't think they will look all that nice!! What do you guys think?

Greg

Brian Crump

When I bought my 450SE some years ago I sent it to my mechanic to have it checked.
When I collected the car the mud flaps were gone.
'Where are my mud flaps?'
Reply; 'In the bin where they belong - they make the car look like it belongs to an Eastern European gangster'
I have never dared incur the wrath of my mechanic so that's where they stayed...
It's a matter of taste I guess. However, I would be wary of drilling holes to attach them as each hole has the potential to rust....
Mind you, I kinda reckon it would look kewl to be an Eastern European gangster... ;D
BC

Mforcer

Hang them on the wall as a piece of modern art! ;D Keep them for when you want a show room condition car that doesn't get driven. Get a good after-market set for when you want to use the car. As they do eventually wear out, do you really want to wear out the last available set?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Mforcer

Quote from: Brian Crump on 21 February 2007, 12:38 AM
When I bought my 450SE some years ago I sent it to my mechanic to have it checked.
When I collected the car the mud flaps were gone.
'Where are my mud flaps?'
Reply; 'In the bin where they belong - they make the car look like it belongs to an Eastern European gangster'
I have never dared incur the wrath of my mechanic so that's where they stayed...
It's a matter of taste I guess. However, I would be wary of drilling holes to attach them as each hole has the potential to rust....
Mind you, I kinda reckon it would look kewl to be an Eastern European gangster... ;D

No mud flaps for you!!! Next!!!!!!!

;D
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

gregdeklerk

oscar

I had them on, they had a white circle and star.  No holes are drilled, they came with these robust screw together C-clamps.  i used to like them when new 16 years ago, then they sagged at the corners.  When I painted the wheel wells black I removed them and they're still in the shed.  I wont be putting them back on.

For interest sake, they had a w123 part number, but did fit properly IMO.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

I bought a set new for my W123 about a year ago, cost about $150 from the dealership.

come with mounting brackets and look quite nice,
i priced them a few months ago for my w116 and were around the same price, haven't ordered them yet,
Hoping Styria can find me 2 more of these nice ones he has sent me with the metal silver star on them, look better than the originals.

koan

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 21 February 2007, 12:24 AM

My problem is that I don't think they will look all that nice!!

That just about sums it up

The ones on mine came off pretty swiftly when I got it.

koan.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Des

Did you do anything about the holes drilled in the guards?

koan

Quote from: Des on 21 February 2007, 04:42 AM

Did you do anything about the holes drilled in the guards?

Long time ago but I don't think I did.

koan.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

My decision must depends on whether they are functional - do you drive on unsealed roads - if you don't they are only a liability.

Car always looks better without them.

Bill

Nutz

NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!

Des

Yes they definitely look better not on the car, however if it had them on them I would put them back on,
not sure how one would deal with the holes drilled in the guards.

WGB

Paintable filler and then a drop of touch up paint would be a good start.

Bill

Des

Quote from: WGB on 22 February 2007, 02:02 AM
Paintable filler and then a drop of touch up paint would be a good start.

Bill

Ok, I was thinking of some sort of metal solder that you would melt and fill in the holes somehow, being careful not to burn or mark the existing paint.