News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

To fit OEM mudflaps or not?

Started by gregdeklerk, 21 February 2007, 12:24 AM

Brian Crump

OSCAR - did you really paint yr wheel wells black? Yeah so did I. We won't win an MB Concourse now.... ::)
BC

oscar

Brian, I can't remember if I had done it before the KV trip but I repainted wheel wells, rocker panels and under spare wheel well. 

What I used to notice with white wheel wells was clean white being sprayed with parallel dirt streaks from the tyre treads.  Stood out like dogs preverbials.  And of course, no concourse points but gee the black looks soooo much better.

I'd recommend everyone consider doing the same.  If everyone did, the concours judges would be fooled, and we'd be in with a chance Brian :D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

Ok guys, the mudflaps stay in the garage cupboard. I am not into drilling holes so no mudflaps for the 280SE. So what do you guys think of the mudflaps on the 123? (It always had them on)

Greg

s class

Are the wheel wells supposed to be body coloured?  I shall check my original 70's 116 brochures at home...

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Quote from: s class on 22 February 2007, 08:05 AM
Are the wheel wells supposed to be body coloured?  I shall check my original 70's 116 brochures at home...

My brochures are hidden atm, but yes, they are body coloured I reckon.  My 350 was, my 280 is, resto's I saw at a Canberra concours were, that aussie ebay concours 6.9 that isobars brought up does too.  Not to take anything away from that great looking car, but a light colour really makes them noticeable.

Greg, 123's are ugly anyway, so put them back on :) :D  ;) That was cruel sorry, I'm not sure what you should do.  Along the lines of what WGB said, think practically rather than cosmetically in deciding whether to put them on.  Just remeber you can clamp them on, no holes  I will try and get photos for you tomorrow of the clamps on my 123 part numbered mudflaps that used to be on the 350.  You might be able to find something similar.

oscar

Brian Crump

From mud flaps to wheel wells -we guys are good at hi-jacking a thread!!! :o :o :o
Anyway, I painted the rear wells with spray on bitumen sealer after I had cleaned them and my logic was to further protect against stone chips etc which could lead later to rust. At one concours a judge kindly pointed out my error and noted a penalty. ;D ;D ;D I was at the concours to meet people and look at cars so I was not too concerned about coming first or last so long as the beast looked presentable. I know my 450 works (unlike some concours entries that require the NRMA to get going again  :D) To me a concours is good fun not a competition....
BC

gregdeklerk

Hey Oscar,

What is the location of that car? I need to steal the left side mirror!!

Greg

oscar

Greg, it's under that Aus ebay 6.9 thread in the shop section.  I think from memory you can bid $28,000AUD for the mirror and get the 6.9 attached for free. ;) ;D

I've got a pair of 300sd mirrors (unsuitable for rhd as you know) but remember that other thread about shrek with one ear and birds with one wing, if your that desperate for a LHS mirror, you can have this one for zip.

I'm not going to use it although I'll keep the right side for the glass.   
To borrow a common but inadequate description IMO  -  Condition is "good for it's age".
There's no handle or inner chrome plate either sorry.  Let me know if you're interested.

EDIT
Quote from: Brian Crump on 22 February 2007, 04:15 PM
From mud flaps to wheel wells -we guys are good at hi-jacking a thread!!! :o :o :o

Add passenger mirrors :D :D :D

oscar

Greg, it's under that Aus ebay 6.9 thread in the shop section.  I think from memory you can bid $28,000AUD for the mirror and get the 6.9 attached for free. ;) ;D

I've got a pair of 300sd mirrors (unsuitable for rhd as you know) but remember that other thread about shrek with one ear and birds with one wing, if your that desperate for a LHS mirror, you can have this one for zip.

I'm not going to use it although I'll keep the right side for the glass.   
To borrow a common but inadequate description IMO  -  Condition is "good for it's age".
There's no handle or inner chrome plate either sorry.  Let me know if you're interested.

EDIT
Quote from: Brian Crump on 22 February 2007, 04:15 PM

Add passenger mirrors :D :D :D

EDIT again
Here's another example of coloured wheel wells and how a light colour makes them obvious.  Check rear left wheel - I'll end up making you all self concious about this before too long.

This is a remarkably good looking car BTW, a 280s for $1200AUD but ended with no bids  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160085762151&rd=1&rd=1

WGB

O'K - you've convinced me to paint my wheel arches body colour and I will keep an open mind on wheel-arch Chrome but you can't convince me that mudflaps look good - purely functional.

Bill

oscar

Quote from: WGB on 25 February 2007, 12:41 AM
O'K - you've convinced me to paint my wheel arches body colour ....

no no no.......
I'm trying to convince the fold to go black inside wheel arches.  Fair enough on no mudflaps but I think inside wheel arches in black colour look better than the body colour, especially a lighter body colour.

Is it possible people have different taste then me?  I refuse to accept it   ::)

Yesmar

Any of you guy's with your unwanted mud flaps sitting in the corner of the garage want to sell them to me??? i rather like the look, please e-mail me  whaleboneobx@aol.com
thankyou
- Ramsey

koan

You blokes have no taste when it comes to mud flaps, if you must have them they have to be of the proper the "Mud flap girl" type.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!