News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Tips for removing auxiliary fuel tank from trunk

Started by WrightSounds, 11 February 2013, 07:58 PM

WrightSounds

Hello all,
I'm one of the (lucky?) 300SD owners that has an extra fuel tank in my trunk. I thought it was kind of neat at first but now the only thing I think about is removing it and selling it. Mainly because my vacuum locks aren't working and I can't access the vacuum reservoir that's tucked under the backseat dash. Plus it takes up space that at first I didn't think I'd need but now I realize I do. I started a thread a couple months ago about it, but not on how I should take it out. So here goes...

The tank is bolted down at the four corners. No issue in taking those off. I'm more concerned with the two hoses which go into the main tank... and the holes that will be left when I take the hoses out.

Here is hose #1:

Here is hose #2 (you can see an inch of hose #1 [brownish in color] in the background):

Hose #2 is connected to the red-lever valve that when turned clockwise lets the fuel drain from the auxiliary tank, through the hose, and down to the main tank. Hose #1 is connected at the top of the auxiliary tank and then down into the main tank, I'm assuming, to allow the fuel to flow out easier.

QUESTIONS  :)
#1. Does the main tank butt up flush with the floor of the trunk? If there's a gap it would seem sealing the two holes in the tank will be a bit complicated.
#2. If it is flush with the underside of the trunk floor, any ideas of how I can plug the 2 holes from the hoses?
#3. How about triming the two hoses so they stick out just a bit and then plugging them with a rubber stopper like one of these: http://www.indigo.com/images/product/608.jpg

I'm probably overcomplicating things but it seems like having two holes in the top of my fuel tank isn't the best idea.
I appreciate (as usual) any and all advice. Thanks guys!
-Matt Wright

Casey

If you want to ship greyhound, I might be up for buying that tank btw.

WrightSounds

Do you have rear glass you'd like to trade for it?  ;)

So what do you think Casey (or anybody). I was able to take some pictures underneath the car and have a much better idea of what's going on. I was able to find all four of the mounting bolts that go through the floor of the trunk.

Here is what I labeled hose #1 in the other pics from my OP. It's the hose from the top of the auxiliary tank and goes through the floor of the trunk and just hangs under the car. I'm assuming this is to allow air, and thus the fuel, to flow from the auxiliary tank to the main tank. (I outlined it in white because the picture turned out too dark to see it very well)

Here is hose #2, the hose that's connected to the red valve on the auxiliary tank. It's zip-tied in a few places and travels from the driver side across to the passenger side.

And here is hose #2. It's been spliced with a 3-way splitter into the main fuel line(?).

Seems like I could either replace the hose that Hose #2 from the auxiliary tank was spliced with. Or I could replace the 3-way splitter with a 2-way splitter and keep the original hose as-is, in two parts, connected with the splitter thing. Or I could pull Hose #2 from the 3-way splitter and just cap that end of the splitter?

Any suggestions, recommendations, advice, etc.  :D
thanks,
Matt Wright