News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

time for you to meet Rolf Harris

Started by OzBenzHead, 22 November 2007, 08:29 AM

OzBenzHead

I've posted some pics to Photobucket. Link to album is at bottom of post. (Warning: 'Tain't pretty - but one has to start somewhere.)

After my Sydney Rolf session, I have decided upon a complete - interior and exterior - colour change (after - ahem - the major metal repairs required).   

My first thought was "keep it original", but now that I've seen it, I figure that keeping it original will cost me almost as much in restoration as going completely custom.  As it's my money being spent (quite a lot of it, in fact), and as Rolf's destiny may well have been the crusher had I not bought him, I figure it's my prerogative to get him looking exactly as I please.  Let's face it - he was a custom job almost from the start anyway.

No, no sneak previews of the colour scheme yet.  Wait until the car is paintable and all will be revealed.

Interesting (?) points of difference:

* grooved dash wood (consistent with its being a 1973 edition?)

* no armrest between front seats

* no armrest in centre of rear seat (it's obvious to the touch - though not the eye - that this has been filled in; the rigid rear necessitated by the seat's fold-forward design does not allow room for the armrest to hinge and move)

* front-seat backrest angle adjuster knobs on OUTside of seats (sensible, but I've never before seen this on a 116)

* someone has converted the manual window cranks (in the front doors only) to electric - and used later series switches

* the vacuum reservoir is under the cargo-zone floor, in otherwise the same position as it would have been under the parcel shelf

* the first-aid kit is similarly under the cargo floor, almost directly in line with where it would have been in the sedan.  Bit of a bugger if one had to unpack the load area and remove the floor panel to access a band-aid.

* it has had three engines: two M110s and what I'm told was a - cough, splutter, choke - Holden; the last rego certificate refers to an engine capacity of 3298 cc and an engine number of FL108402.  The capacity sounds rather close to 3.3 litres, but my web search didn't bring up any Holden engine number style beginning with "FL".  If anyone can enlighten me ...

I suspect that this vehicle has seen a bog-merchant or two since it left the Crayford plant - there are acres of the stuff, all merrily parting company with what's left of the metal.  Either that or Crayfords were atrocious coachbuilders (and that idea is not borne out by their reputation).

First step in the process will be to have the entire car soda-blasted, followed by rebuilding / replacement of the rotten parts.

At least with its having no mechanicals apart from the axle assemblies, a full-body restoration should be somewhat less difficult because of access.

Okay - you have been forewarned.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/The%20Rolf%20Resto/
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Big_Richard

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 22 November 2007, 04:10 PM
Very exciting stuff, Cant wait to see the progress shots!

PS, Where is the fuel tank, and who makes it ? Its normally behind the back seat.

It's under the cargo floor - where the spare tyre is in a sedan.  The spare tyre stands vertically on the near side of the cargo area. No idea whose manufacture it is; perhaps it's from a W108.  I didn't get that deeply through the various layers - it's concealed top and bottom by sheet metal.

Photo "borrowed" from Caroline's Kermit.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

WGB

That will stop you getting bored for a while OBH.

Will follow woth interest.

Bill

s class

Hi OBH,

Congtatulations on taking this project on.  It certainly is extensive.  I will study the photos again later on and post some more specific comments. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Andrew280SEL

Yes, congrats!

It looks very interesting, and I'm sure it will be a really beautiful example after your done with it. :)

I tell you what though, if the sedans didn't have big enough boots (trunks, whatever), which they do, these Crayfords look like they have massive space in the back.

Did someone say mattress and sleeping bags? :P
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

CraigS

I just hope there is enough metal to work with after the soda blasting ! If you saw my brother's El Camino after it had been done, you would know what I mean. The bog came out in 150mm chunks. They must have poured it in like concrete !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

116Benz

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 23 November 2007, 01:50 AM
Yes, congrats!

It looks very interesting, and I'm sure it will be a really beautiful example after your done with it. :)

I tell you what though, if the sedans didn't have big enough boots (trunks, whatever), which they do, these Crayfords look like they have massive space in the back.

Did someone say mattress and sleeping bags? :P

You mean to say a 116 Shag'n Wag'n? If the Crayford's a rockin dont bother knockin? Or like the old Torana Hatch Hutch?

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: 116Benz on 23 November 2007, 02:51 AM

You mean to say a 116 Shag'n Wag'n? If the Crayford's a rockin dont bother knockin?

...Yes! ;D

Can't say I've heard of the Torana Hatch thingo though. ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

116Benz

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 23 November 2007, 04:32 AM
Quote from: 116Benz on 23 November 2007, 02:51 AM

You mean to say a 116 Shag'n Wag'n? If the Crayford's a rockin dont bother knockin?

...Yes! ;D

Can't say I've heard of the Torana Hatch thingo though. ;)

It was an orange and blue (from memory) tent that attached onto the back of a Torana hatch (with the tailgate open) made the car a into a camping hut.
*keeping the topic on subject  ;D* On a Crayford, I guess it would be a camping hut with an air conditioned formal lounge

s class

HI OBH,

I've had time to look at your pictures, and I have some comments - no particular order -

* the front end looks straight and accident free

* I see some 2ser banners in the workshop - would this be in Sydney some place....?

* the lower areas - sills certainly are a bit - um - challenged.  There must be some weight of bog in there!

*its a pity about the state of the base of the c-pillars - some cracking of the filler is visible - do you know what the integrity of the welding is in there?

* as to the areas at the base of the D-pillars, as you say, I sincerely hope thats not how Crayford built them - basically sculpted from bog. 

* the model badge 280SE is off a W108, not a W116

* the plate and rivet job behind the rear license plate surely can't be Crayford - perhaps a patch repair after someone tried to break into the car?

* how well does the rear deck lid open and close - does it operate positively despite the rust?

* interesting treatment of the fuel filler flap.  is the area above the flap sculpted from bog too?

* is the roof sound where it was extended?

* the placement of the aircon drier is unusual - perhaps a hangover from the Holden engine?

* the steering box sector shaft adjustment is quite well out - not much more scope to take up wear.

* the A and B pillar bases look good - well maybe not the A pillar on the RHS - it looks a bit crusty!

* the grooved dash is correct for early cars.  Actually a nice grain in that wood, somewhat reminicent of W108's

* tex certainly holds up well!

* from the positioning of the lower control arm eccentric adjustments, it looks like the bushes still have fair life left in them

* the load bay floor is interesting - its like a false floor supported above the main floor by a lattice of square tubing - it seems as if one of the main reasons for this is to make space for the medical kit and vacuum reservoir?

* it seems as if the original trim work in the load area was done quite competently.  Whats the condition now - salvageable?

* the routing of the fuel filler neck is a little disapointing and intrusive.

* does the car stil have the normal trim coloured vinyl items along the sides of the ceiling installed (the panels where the grab handles attach) - if so how did they deal with the transition to the rear area that does not have these strips?

* #016959 makes it a very early car, probably 1973

Good luck - I'm looking forward to seeing this car well sorted out!

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

OzBenzHead

Ryan: Thanks for your detailed observations and questions.  Much appreciated.

Quote from: s class on 25 November 2007, 03:32 PM

* the front end looks straight and accident free
Rough but straight - I think.

Quote* I see some 2ser banners in the workshop - would this be in Sydney some place....?
Oui. Chez Michel.

Quote* the lower areas - sills certainly are a bit - um - challenged.  There must be some weight of bog in there!
Pretty they aren't!  As long as it's only the outer sills, no big deal.  New ones available.

Quote*its a pity about the state of the base of the c-pillars - some cracking of the filler is visible - do you know what the integrity of the welding is in there?
No, but I'm having nightmares (almost) about the possibilities of what I might discover after some gouging and de-bogging.

Quote* as to the areas at the base of the D-pillars, as you say, I sincerely hope thats not how Crayford built them - basically sculpted from bog. 
It would be a gross disappointment to discover that, but I suppose it is possible. Just doesn't strike me a "good British workmanship" if it's original Crayford bogging.

Quote* the model badge 280SE is off a W108, not a W116
It has - I'm told - been replaced after having had a 380SE badge put there when it had (one of two!) Holden (GM) engines. Apparently it had two M110s, followed by a 3.8 litre GM V6 then a 3.3 litre GM I6.  More heart transplants than Dr Christian Barnard has performed!

Quote* the plate and rivet job behind the rear license plate surely can't be Crayford - perhaps a patch repair after someone tried to break into the car?
Had me puzzled, too. No idea.

Quote* how well does the rear deck lid open and close - does it operate positively despite the rust?
Surprisingly, it works well (though it weighs a ton to lift, and the struts that should hold it up are (1) broken and (1) missing). To hold it up on my inspection day I found that a broom handle fitted perfectly in the hole for the boot light! (Innovation!)

Quote* interesting treatment of the fuel filler flap.  is the area above the flap sculpted from bog too?
So it appears.

Quote* is the roof sound where it was extended?
As far as I can tell.  There is no obvious bog or rust there.

Quote* the placement of the aircon drier is unusual - perhaps a hangover from the Holden engine?
Hee hee!

Quote* the steering box sector shaft adjustment is quite well out - not much more scope to take up wear.
Thank god for the spares collection!

Quote* the A and B pillar bases look good - well maybe not the A pillar on the RHS - it looks a bit crusty!
Yup - that seems to be the only worrying one.

Quote* the grooved dash is correct for early cars.  Actually a nice grain in that wood, somewhat reminicent of W108's
But will it stay or will it go?  Given that I'm not sticking with original paint or interior colours, I might also go for different wood - but that's a long way down the track.

Quote* tex certainly holds up well!
Well nigh indestructible stuff!

Quote* from the positioning of the lower control arm eccentric adjustments, it looks like the bushes still have fair life left in them
Well, something has to be sound!   ::)

Quote* the load bay floor is interesting - its like a false floor supported above the main floor by a lattice of square tubing - it seems as if one of the main reasons for this is to make space for the medical kit and vacuum reservoir?
And possible somewhere to stash contraband!   ;D ;D  Surely the original false floor should have been hardboard, not ply - wobble boards are made from hardboard (Masonite).

Quote* it seems as if the original trim work in the load area was done quite competently.  Whats the condition now - salvageable?
Barely - and the few bits that might be salvageable would be unlikely to match any new material (fade etc.); with a colour change this become irrelevant, but the existing bits will make good templates I suppose.

Quote* the routing of the fuel filler neck is a little disapointing and intrusive.
Ain't it just!  Untouched, I think, from the sedan. There is room to have it diverted into the rear guard cavity - but will I bother?  Maybe.

Quote* does the car stil have the normal trim coloured vinyl items along the sides of the ceiling installed (the panels where the grab handles attach) - if so how did they deal with the transition to the rear area that does not have these strips?
It does.  I'll post some pics. Unfortunately, whoever (retro-?) fitted the rear seatbelts did a butcher job, so the custom pieces behind the truncated C-post trim will have to be re-made from scratch.  Doesn't look difficult.

Quote* #016959 makes it a very early car, probably 1973
Yup - 1973 according to the rego papers.  I'm waiting on a "birth date" response from the Classic Center.

QuoteGood luck - I'm looking forward to seeing this car well sorted out!
Thanks.   ;D  I'm going to need a lot of luck, some skilled trades help, and a lot of moolah, methinks.

Brian Crump

Having seen the Crayford in the flesh I hereby award OBH the Purple Heart for Bravery. Having met OBH I know he is the man for the task. The car, the man, the moment!!!
The Crayford is not quite as bad as it sounds - mostly it is a sound shell with just some interesting places  :o I also believe OBH is on the right track when he says he will build it to his likeing rather than simply to the original. I know it will be a sensitive re-build and maybe even one that has some innovation - cocktail cabinets, round-about destroying missiles and wheelie bin battering ram? ;D
BTW, the original colour is sooooooooo kewl.  ;)
Regards,
BC

OzBenzHead

Thanks, Brian, for your kind words.   :D

As to the original kewell kolor ...

As I've decided not to stay with the avocado interior (it's really all too dark and oppressive, rather like the tobacco interior of the engine-donor car), I have a wider choice of paint colours.

Although previously hung up on a good dark green, that was mainly because it might be the only dark colour that would work with the avocado.

Now that I've chosen the interior scheme, I'm leaning heavily toward (Michel: don't look now!  ;) ) a very dark brown.

Difficulty is finding a true representation of the possible browns.

The list includes the following (below), most of which are Ponton-era colours.  Whilst I have found online colour charts for these, those are definitely not to be relied upon as they are inaccurate screen representations of originally less-than-accurate printed cards.

I've been to the (only) two local car-paint suppliers and they were bereft of constructive suggestions (that's Lismore for ya).

If anyone can point me toward a more reliable and accurate source of colour samples I'd be most grateful.

Ultimately, I might have to get the paint shop to mix me a 250 ml tin (the smallest they do) or a small pressure pack of each of the browns in my list, then spray them on some spare body panels to see the effect of the curves and different light conditions.

Here's the list:

408   havannabraun / havanna brown

409   (dunkel) brasilbraun / (dark) brazil brown

423   dunkeltabakbraun / dark tobacco brown

424   topasbraun / topaz brown

426   (a dark brown? - can't find a name for it))

442   medium brown

460   dunkelrotbraun / dark red-brown

461   broncebraun / bronze brown

506   reddish brown.

116Benz

It's a solid brown isnt it, not a metalic brown?