News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

The myth of the aluminum trunk lid

Started by Casey, 12 March 2012, 09:46 PM

mirafioriman

When you paint with basecoat and clear the two elements react together. Once painted if any damage goes through the basecoat then all you can do is repaint the whole process again.

Many problems with the clearcoat are caused by problems with the original paint process such as damp in the air or the basecoat being left too long before the clear is applied.
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

bgiovan

Yep, sorry guys.  Squigg is spot on.  The prior cat was way rough with the sanding on my aluminum hood and I'm really worried it is damaged.  Looks like I'm going to take the entire car down to bare metal and do a complete repaint.  Went thru TJ's 6.9 thread last night and got inspired.  Luckily I have another hood in storage though.  It's been moved around quite a bit though. 

curbill

1980 300sd no sunroof, alum hood and trunk lid never been repaired. 116,000 org miles

Casey

Today I went and had another look at that Milan brown 450SEL that I was considering taking the steel hood from. Unfortunately, it has been slightly dented from the front on the right side, and there's a big patch of missing paint near the center.  But under the paint...aluminum! Is this worth trying to get a reasonable price on even though it needs repair and paint? It sure looks to be the original part, there's no sign of reprinting even the hinge bolts look untouched. It's a 79 450SEL...

KenM

So now the aluminium hood has spread from the SD to the 450 SEL, what's going on over there? I'm sure we just got plain good ol' rustable steel here, this gets more and more intriguing. Must be something

to do with your unfriendly emission laws or something of that nature.   

Casey

Quote from: KenM on 27 March 2012, 04:47 AM
So now the aluminium hood has spread from the SD to the 450 SEL, what's going on over there? I'm sure we just got plain good ol' rustable steel here, this gets more and more intriguing. Must be something to do with your unfriendly emission laws or something of that nature.
Well every other 450 SEL there including another '79 along with my own 450SEL and 450SE have a steel hood.  I think it was some sort of fluke or maybe it was just a well-done replacement by a previous owner.  I have yet to see a single aluminum trunk lid though.

ZCarFan

2 '80 300SDs - both no EGR with aluminum hoods and trunk lids. No sunroofs.   will check the build dates this weekend.

ZCarFan

One was built 4/80 and the other 7/80 if that helps

Casey

I bought me an aluminum trunk lid, so now I finally have one.  They really do exist! ;)

KenM

So how much lighter is it Casey?

I still can't figure out why they bothered , must make a tiny difference in the overall vehicle weight.

TJ 450

I reckon the combined weight of the hood and trunk lid are pretty substantial...

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

arman

Yeah, besides the W116 doesn't need less weight in the back, but it could be somewhat lighter in the front. An aluminium hood is a much better solution. I would like to have one of those.
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

carl888

I suspect the alloy panels were done for some Federal legislation regarding gross vehicle mass.  Perhaps without it the car was heavy enough to be classed as a commercial vehicle?  Just a guess.  There is no other explanation to go to that much trouble.

We had a similar scenario in Australia with the W123 T series.  Notice how you never see a 7 seater wagon with steel wheels?  Always alloys.  That's because the legislation at the time would have required an endorsed licence (Being a 7 seater and that heavy).  The T series was only just over, but about 10 kg or so, the alloys managed to trim the weight just under the maximum.  The 5 seater wagons were standard with steel wheels.

CJ

1980sdga

You need to weigh it Casey!

I'm not sure when CAFE standards (Corporate Average Fleet Economy) were introduced in the US but the sunroof delete and aluminum parts on the 80's may have something to do with it. 

Type17

Here's the plaque beside the 300SD at the MB Museum in Stuttgart - it does refer to the CAFE regulations. Passing CAFE was probably a close-run thing, so lightening the car by adding alloy wheels, trunk and hood was needed to further improve its MPG.

'76 350SE in Silver-Green