News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

THe Forum's Opinion on the much maligned "German Sausage"

Started by WGB, 26 November 2008, 02:52 AM

Give your opinion on the black AMG Spoiler

Burn it before it takes hold and holes appear in the bootlid
Make a fibreglass replica and paint it body coloured
Yes - But!!!!
I like it - very period.

WGB

I have been away for two weeks in NZ and the night before I left my spoiler arrived in the post courtesy of e-bay and via two well known members of the 116 community.

My return was delayed as I was "Qantas-ed" on Sunday and spent an unexpected night in Sydney following Saturday's "Hole in the aileron" incident at Sydney airport which stopped the Christchurch flight and bu%%ared up the whole weekend Sydney-ChCh sdhedule.

Today I have covered the bolts with tape to protect the paint and sat the spoiler in position with a couple of pices of tape.

I have a spare bootlid and also two AMG badges so as the Mercedes Star will need to be removed and the hole welded I have ordered another 6.9 badge so that I can make two boot lids (One with spoiler and no star and one with star and no spoiler) and decide which one I like.

Opinions gratefully received.

Bill

arman

Hi Bill
Are you going to spray paint the spoiler in the colour of the car? In that case you could nicely cut out a circle from the spoiler that is concentric with the position of the star. You have to use some polyester putty (filler) of course because I think the spoiler is foamed?

Just an idea though. It might not work because the star is so big it goes around the edge of the boot lid a bit. There might be too little material left in the middle of the spoiler...

Regards
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

koan

Difficult one this...

Not seen one a a big saloon but never been keen on them on SLs.

As I've mentioned before my preference is for the regulation back front air dam not the body coloured AMG part, but the black rear spoiler is a bit too prominent for my liking.

If I had to have one and I'm nor sure do I think it would have to be body colour.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

13B

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

robertd

Hi Bill,
I do like it, however I think there would be times when It would be "too much".

what you need are two 6.9's one stock standard in concourse condition the other a specked up road chariot
in average condition, the sort that you could leave at the train station for the day.

What the hell, I'd go for it, you only live once.

Regards
Robert
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

oscar

It is a shame they didn't mould them with a cut away over the circle & star but then again, I like the look of MB boot lids with no badges or markings at all.  But they also annoy me at the same time because I can't tell what's under the bonnet.

The sausage belongs there on this car WGB and the black/silver of the boot works well with the black rubber and chrome of the bumpers.  It has to stay black I reckon.  A lot of 70's AMG styling and parts looked ugly to me when I first got the w116 bug but after subjecting myself to the photos that appear on the net, now I see most 70's AMG bits and pieces (including the sausage) as desirable and attractive but no matter how much I might look at pics I still can't warm to the idea of the side and rear skirts.   
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Looks brilliant.  It has to stay black.  I say go for it.   

If you decide you don't like it, I know a car in South Africa it could fit on ;)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

13B

Or fit a star that is physically smaller from a lesser-model MB, like a 190E...
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

AMG69

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

nathan

Bill,
you have already gone most of the distance, so you may as well keep going!
like the other guys, i thought that originally they had the bit cut out for the star on the boot?? if so as 13B said, fit a smaller star, i think a w124 wagen rear star would fit well
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

WGB

Thanks for the comments.

I have ordered a new 6.9 badge and have a spare boot so will try to drill, fill holes and paint this boot over Xmas.

I like the idea of a small M-B badge instead of a blank space so will investigate the cost of one.

My wife is driving a new C220CDI on loan at the moment courtesy of a hit and run driver who drove out of a bottle store crashed into her left rear wheel and drove off leaving his front bumper on the road.

The C-class  has a small star as well so will measure the size.

And yes she is fine - it is why she drives an ML320CDI - but the poodle in the back coming home from the groomers was thrown around the car. The Police couldn't stop laughing when she rang to report the hit and run and said "did you get the number plate" and my wife replied - "yes and it and the bumper are in the back of my car".

Bill

koan

What are you going to do, black or body colour?

The Police couldn't stop laughing when she rang to report the hit and run and said "did you get the number plate" and my wife replied - "yes and it and the bumper are in the back of my car".

Fortunate no injuries were sustained in the accident. Wonder if having the bumper bar and plate are sufficient evidence for the police to charge. \No doubt he will say the bar fell off and your wife picked it up and thanks for returning it.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

I will leave it black at this stage as it is in pristine condition.

Fortunately my wife has a witness so there will be little to argue about.

Hit and run, failing to report an accident etc.

Bill