News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

The Benz is in the garage!!

Started by ProjectBone, 10 September 2006, 02:58 PM

ProjectBone

Picked up my "new" '77 280S car today - and what a beauty!

She has suffered under poor maintenance and care the last years, and was to be honest not a pretty sight. Mould in the seats, 5 year old McDonald bags under the seat and sigarettes EVERYWHERE.

Now that she's under my care though, she will surely return to the state that she deserves!

Except from the garbage and filth, this is what needs to be done:

- New ignition, doorlocks and ecectric window motors
- New front window
- Both bumbers, grill and rear taillights
- Some welding at the front
- Runs poorly, so new plugs, wires, rotor and ofcourse change the oil
- Patch up the old exhaust pipe
    - And last but not least -
- A thorough cleanse of the interiour!

I will add pictures as soon as I get to upload them, and let anyone interested know as i advance...

You will probably see some post from me in the technical forums as well  8)

fatherpierre

Your lack of engine or mech work sounds a little optimistic!!!

I hope it only needs what you listed - but if the car's been THAT neglected I fear a touch more work may be needed under the bonnet!!

My fingers are crossed for you :) ;)

oscar

Hi ProjectBone

Welcome to the fold.  Does sound like some late nights and aching backs are to follow :D.  If you love the car now, imagine the result as each improvement is made.  I've still got so much to achieve on mine but with each step there's a sense of satisfaction.   Occasionally frustration creeps in and I wish I could just go and buy a better one but perserverence pays off.

My only advice would be as tempting as it is to get the appearance right, sort out the mechanics first. 

Where abouts in the world are you?  Looking forward to the pics. Cheers.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

ProjectBone

Thanks for the feedback!

My pictures are uploaded on http://geeksten.spaces.live.com/photos/
I took the pictures while changing the windshield, but you can see what I'm up against ;)

I'm in Oslo, Norway and I got the car for free. I can't wait to show it to the guy who gave it to me after it's finished.. Hehe, I hope he'll get really angry  ;D

I'll be bacK!

oscar

I'd love to see what you're up against but the link doesn't work. :-[

Try starting an album or post pics to the forum's gallery

ProjectBone

Sorry for the bad link;

my pics are now uploaded in the gallery titled "projectbone's car".
Go have a look!

oscar

Hi Projectbone,

I just had a look at all your pics in high res.  Thanks for sharing. 

Without knowing anything about the engine's condition I think the rust is the biggest issue.  Stating the obvious I know.  It's a shame since the car looks very straight despite the rust areas and damged bumpers.  It's often said to look for the hidden areas of rust.  One area is the floorpan and the footwells but from the looks of the photos you've already started stripping the old girl. 

What's your plan regarding the rust?  That is, are you fixing it yourself, welding, or going to a pro?  It looks like a big job,but nothing's impossible and for a morale boost if it ever gets you down,  check out alabassi's resto of a 6.9  There's also a 280 from the UK I think, in the gallery that had rust and rocker panels attended to.  Click here and there's 3 albums repair1, 2 and 3.  More inspiring work proving anything's possible.

A lot of the other bits: grill, tail lights, etc you'll find on ebay.  How good's your German?  For where you are in the world German ebay seems to list more 116 items than any other.  I don't see bumpers all that much, probably due to their size but they do pop up occasionally.

Anyway, good luck.  May the 116 bug stay with you ;D

ProjectBone

Hi Oscar, thanks for replying!

I know the rust is an issue; and I'm going to change all exterior suffering from rust. Luckily, in addition to being an amateur welder myself, I have some friends which are very good at it; so I should manage.

That being said, it is surprisingly little rust on the floorpans, canals and under the car - so I hope it won't be any surprises when I get it all strippet down.
Also got some liquid rust remover and paint which I plan to use on the cosmetics if it ain't replacable.

The engine is running, but not too good - although I suspect this is because of it being stored outdoors for two years without being used. I haven't started on the engine yet, but I think replacing the ignition parts, all filters and the oil, as well as adjusting the carburetor will be a good start.

The engine isn't my biggest concern though; I'm pretty good at mechanics. It is the exterior / interior and welding I need to be good at, and I'm looking forward to it  ;D

Again, thanks for all tips and suggestions, I'll keep you guys updated :)

PS: My German sucks  8) but I'll see what Ebay Germany has to offer !

Tomi

dont worry about the german, I have used the german ebay using the net translator (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) and it works great.
Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun, reminds me of the times I spent round days in the garage for allmost 2 years. Now I just ride and enjoy
dont let the spirit go down.