News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Sunroof Wind Deflector

Started by 300SDude, 06 October 2011, 08:52 PM

300SDude

All three of us that drive in this car, smoke. (I know, shame, shame, shame).

I was looking at a sunroof wind deflector: http://www.lundinternational.com/products/ventvisors-windows/windflector/ to try and buffet the noise/rain that comes through when I crack it open. (This sucks the smoke out without having to have the windows down, but it will let rain in).

Has anyone installed one of these on their w116? Do you like it?

I will get the "stick-on" one as opposed to the clip mounted one. For those who have put one on, do you have a preference? How did it mount? Does it "stay"?

I have "Lund" wind deflectors on all the truck doors that I have, and I love them. They do make a sunroof deflector....just wondering if anyone has used one, or has a preference.

300SDude

Casey

I don't understand the appeal of these.  The wind isn't bad with the stock sunroof open all the way and the rear windows cracked a bit to allow the air to flow through nicely...

koan

Quote from: Raptelan on 06 October 2011, 10:13 PM
The wind isn't bad with the stock sunroof open all the way and the rear windows cracked a bit to allow the air to flow through nicely...

Noise isn't bad provided the black flap pops up, if it doesn't noise level is higher. I find opening a window along with the sunroof sets up a low frequency rumble around 20 Hertz which is not pleasant.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

calvin streeting

Quote from: koan on 07 October 2011, 02:57 PM
Noise isn't bad provided the black flap pops up

my 76 350se dose not have one of them, as far as i can tell two types where fitted to 116's.. maybe another one for old v new post :)

Casey

Quote from: calvin streeting on 07 October 2011, 05:13 PM
Quote from: koan on 07 October 2011, 02:57 PM
Noise isn't bad provided the black flap pops up

my 76 350se dose not have one of them, as far as i can tell two types where fitted to 116's.. maybe another one for old v new post :)

Both my '74 and my '80 have them.

calvin streeting

here is a photo of my old roof, notice the front bar (on left). is more forward than a standard one (on the right)

Casey

My bad, the '74 does NOT have the black deflector piece!

However, the trick with the sunroof is to crack your *back* windows, not the front ones.  this will eliminate any accoustic vibrations and allow the air to flow pleasantly through the car rather than directing your hair precisely into your eye sockets.

My usual for warm weather is a fully-open sunroof and the rear two windows halfway down.

300SDude

I'll try cracking the back windows. :) That's cheaper than anything, lol.

Thanks!

300SDude

Casey

I just realized that you were interested in smoke evacuation from the vehicle during rain.

I'm really not sure you'd want to open the sunroof partially during rain, as then water would land o the sunroof top and wash directly into the inside of the roof at the rear of the sunroof.  But if that's what you want to try, here's a deflector for a W116: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130472528692  I also saw W116 rain deflectors for the front windows on eBay last night but can't find that again right now.

If you remove the chrome trim from behind the tops of the rear doors on the C-pillar, you will find that there are 4 holes for air evacuation.  2 are plugged with a flat rubber piece on each side.  If you remove them, air will evacuate the vehicle twice as fast with all the windows closed and the vents on.

Squiggle Dog

I just scored one of these at the wrecking yard. It's the clip type and I got the hardware, but this is just a test fit. I think it helps tie in the roof rack and the main reason I wanted it was because I'm moving to Arizona, and sunroofs are practically useless to vent the car when it's hot because the sun beats down on you. This one is tinted so it will filter the amount of sunlight coming through.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

WGB

It also may allow you to leave the sunroof cracked open when parked in the sun to allow the hot air to escape.

Bill

Casey

I literally just detached one exactly like this and then left it at the yard yesterday. Sunroofs are for enjoying SUN, after all. ;)

I also test-fitted a trunk luggage rack from a Buick LeSabre on a 300D - that fits awesome and looks really neat from behind and I almost bought it. The chrome wasn't in good shape though so I think I'll see if they can be ordered new still...