News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Sunroof leaking

Started by Des, 29 December 2006, 10:16 PM

Des

Well I had a fun morning,

Took my 6.9 out for a drive, as it is a nice day here, thought before I put in back in the shed I would put it through the car wash to clean it up before going in for some major repairs this week (timing chain, air cells etc)

Sunroof was closed, water started literally flooding in through the front driver's side corner and the rear of the passenger side. Wasn't a nice experience at all. got absolutely drenched.

The really sour point is that a few months ago I had the seal in the sunroof replaced by my mechanic because it was leaking when I got the car. Not happy!

Looks like we will be having a chat about that Tuesday morning.

Des

thanks for your advice, as always Styria top notch,

Looks like he only replaced one seal, he was the one that pointed out it was leaking, sounds like everything needs to be done to ensure the job is done right. I also remember they had to have some rust cut out and welded for one of the drain holes.

Rust is what worries me, as there is a few very small bubbling on the roof and a little spot of rust right on the front drivers corner of the sunroof panel itself, I'm only talking about like the size of the end of a pen, but still it's rust.

Des

i checked my printed report from when i got the car done and it says:

sunroof seal - side 2 QTY $156.74

what parts does that sound like?

I guess ill need to check what he has done and just get everything else replaced.

Des

On the M100 forum a member advised it may have leaked due to the high pressure water of the car wash, has anyone else experienced that?

Or any comments to add?

WGB

I have my sunroof out while painting my car and at present have Front and rear screens out of the care.
I have a couple of rust perforations in the frame of my sunroof that I was going to fill before painting the car but it is probably not too difficult to drop out the frame if I can get the headlining out without damaging it.

I would appreciate comments on how difficult vs benefits of removing the frame and fixing the rust on the bench. I don't wish to end up with a tear in my fragile headlining.

Bill Babe

WGB

Thanks - I think that gives me enough impetus to get brave enough.

There are two tiny perforations of rust in the roof itself adjacent to the openingand it would be beter to MIG these rather than clean and fill.

It will also presumably allow me to clean up the track a lot better.

I had a discussion a few months back about Sun-roof lubricant and due toe good (Bad) luck I have ended up with two cans of the stuff.

If anybody in WA needs some we can come to some sort of economical arrangement.

Bill Babe