News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Sunroof Drain

Started by TNNBENZ, 21 September 2021, 11:11 PM

TNNBENZ

Does a 450sel have drains in sunroof area ? Where are they ?
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

ptashek

Quote from: TNNBENZ on 21 September 2021, 11:11 PM

There are four. Two in the front corners of the sunroof frame, and two at the very back of it.

You won't see them fully without taking the headliner off, but if you have one of those small inspection cams they can be inspected from the top.

The front drains exit behind the fender, the rear behind the chrome trim on C-pillar.

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

TNNBENZ

Thank-you so very much ptashek !!!  You are a huge asset to this Form, I see you helping members constantly  ;)  :)  ;)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Quote from: ptashek on 22 September 2021, 04:29 AM
Quote from: TNNBENZ on 21 September 2021, 11:11 PM

There are four. Two in the front corners of the sunroof frame, and two at the very back of it.

You won't see them fully without taking the headliner off, but if you have one of those small inspection cams they can be inspected from the top.

The front drains exit behind the fender, the rear behind the chrome trim on C-pillar.
Is it hard to remove headliner and replace it ?  Mine needs cleaning. Then I could blow out my drains at the same time ! Or at least remove liner enough to pour water or air through the drain tubes. I assume lines are plastic...
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rumb

Is it hard to remove headliner and replace it ?  Mine needs cleaning. Then I could blow out my drains at the same time ! Or at least remove liner enough to pour water or air through the drain tubes. I assume lines are plastic...
[/quote]

Time consuming.  You have to remove all the upper interior trim panels and also the A,b,c pillar trim to get to the headliner. The grab bars come out by peeling back the vinyl ends to reveal the bolts.  Then there are about 20 nuts/screws that hold the entire thing up.  You can then remove the entire roof/headliner to work on a bench.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Jan S

I cleaned my two front drains 1-2 years ago with a small "bottle brush" connected to a thin steel wire. Easy fix. The two at the rear I couldn't find :-(

An enthusiast warned me to be careful with compressed air. He mentioned that there is a hose inside connected to a pipe or flange that could be pressed off. If that happened I would be in deep trouble.

I'm not sure if that is the case. Anyhow, I used the brush.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

ptashek

Quote from: Jan S on 23 September 2021, 04:22 PM
I cleaned my two front drains 1-2 years ago with a small "bottle brush" connected to a thin steel wire. Easy fix. The two at the rear I couldn't find :-(

An enthusiast warned me to be careful with compressed air. He mentioned that there is a hose inside connected to a pipe or flange that could be pressed off. If that happened I would be in deep trouble.

I'm not sure if that is the case. Anyhow, I used the brush.

That's certainly the case.

There is a metal pipe section, about 5cm long, in each corner and then a rubber hose slips over it. They're on very tight. I don't think compressed air would remove it, unless you go crazy with the pressure.

I have a pic of the frame somewhere, will post if I find it.

ptashek

Here's the frame. You can just about see the front drains in the left bottom/top corner. The rear drains are in then exact same spot on the opposite corner on either side.

daantjie

To check the rear drains park on an incline then pour water into the track.  It should run out quickly below the c pillar.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber