Stripping the interior: need advice on how to remove

Started by adamb, 22 January 2011, 06:38 PM

adamb

I'm having trouble stripping out a couple of items from the interior:

1. The A-pillar trims. It's as if they are secured behind the dash but surely you don't need to remove the dash to take out the A-pillar trims, right?

2. The top panel over the rear screen where the rear light is inset. I could find only one screw - inside the light holder. What else is holding it on?

Can you help? Thanks,
Adam

craigb

Hi Adam

I hope someone with more experience replies with detail but most of this stuff tends to 'slide' rather than pull off. I am guessing you have the c-pillar ones off, from memory screw at side after rear seat back is out and then slide forward. Then the top rear one I am sure just slides forward along the line of the roof. They are those metal clips the same as the cpillar ones have and about 5 of them. From memory I just got my fingers at the back and pulled it towards the front. A pillar I reckon is one screw down low at the side of the dash and hiding under the kick panel trim but then you once again just slide back to the rear of the car.
1980 280s

hi ho

As far as the rear light trim is concerned, Craigb is right, it's held on by clips - sliding forward is the go

WGB

The method of removing trim is all clearly demonstrated in the workshop manual available at this site.

You have to work through the submenu and often have to read a task eg replace front or rear windscreens to get to the detail - but it is all there and worth the research before you break some irreplaceable part.

Bill

adamb

Thank you to all who gave advice and told me to RTFM  :P I've now successfully removed the rear panel and the A-pillar molds. The latter were a bit of a pain due to the proximity of the wood around the dash. The wood had to be pulled forward a little in order to let the bottom plastic come out. On the off-side it cracked a little but not in a way that's visibly noticeable.

I have another question now - this time concerning headlining removal on a vehicle with a sunroof. The manual job 68-430 covers non-sunroof cars. I've got it all off except at the lip of the sunroof frame. Any hints?

Adam