News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

sticky door

Started by 1980sdga, 04 April 2011, 12:15 AM

1980sdga

My drivers side rear door seems to be plaqued with troubles.  The interior latch was screwy from the start and then the window stopped in the down position.  While I was repairing the window I figured I'd tinker with the latch.

I got everything straightened out (I thought) but the trouble returned. Seems the door latch is sticking in the closed position and sometimes I have to snatch the outside door handle to get it open. I believe that someone messed up the inside latch pulling it too hard because the door latch doesn't release properly.

I moved the aluminum latch block around and it didn't seem to help at all. The door hinges are rock solid with no slack.

I was thinking about just de greasing the lock mechanism and re lubing it.

Any advise?

I can roll down all the windows from the front but neither switch works in the rear. I believe it's because of the little button between the 2 driver side switches.  Is it the lock out switch for the power windows?

Thanks

koan

Quote from: 1980sdga on 04 April 2011, 12:15 AM
I can roll down all the windows from the front but neither switch works in the rear. I believe it's because of the little button between the 2 driver side switches.  Is it the lock out switch for the power windows?

Yes, it enables/disables the rear in door switches from operating the rear windows. 
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

1980sdga

Thanks, kinda weird situation...  I disassembled the front switch with the "lock-out", cleaned and re lubed it.  Before I started, the center button would depress but no "click".  I finally got it working so it produced a nice "snick" every time.

Re installed it and no snick  :-\   Did it again and got it working, put it in the console and no snick...

Nuts huh?  I'm no noob to old cars so it doesn't really surprise me.

My daughter says the 'Benz is just tempermental  :D

koan

Quote from: 1980sdga on 04 April 2011, 09:17 AM
Re installed it and no snick  :-\   Did it again and got it working, put it in the console and no snick...

Maybe installing the switch in the console has distorted the case, or maybe the switch is distorted by the positioning of the plugs/wiring.

The non-OEM switches are a bit flimsy and can come apart if force is put on the rockers as opposed to the chrome surround when installing them, doesn't seem to happen with OEM but suppose it would be possible.

My daughter says the 'Benz is just tempermental  :D

What an excellent judge she is!

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

1980sdga

The thing just seems so precise that anything being out of whack makes it not work.  I went back into it today and the door is opening better but not perfect.  I also worked on the switch some more and ran into the same problem.  It's better but not quite right but I can live with it.

I do enjoy tinkering with the car!