News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Pads for W116

Started by rparker, 07 April 2022, 07:01 AM

rparker

280se steering .jpg

Good Evening Fellas,
I just bought a 1978 280SE and it comes with this familiar W123/W126/W201 steering wheel design. I'm wondering if it is at all possible that this car came with this steering wheel from factory?. Also, using the same steering, is it possible to re-fit the ribbed side steering pad that we are all used to or do I have to buy a whole other steering too. A brief search on google reveal nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
77' W116 280S, 4-Speed Manual

ptashek

That's not a W116 wheel for sure. Too thick and the pad is off. Doesn't look out of place though IMO.

I haven't seen many pads for sale on their own. Easier to sell the whole steering wheel, and not be stuck with one or the other part ;)

When buying a W116 steering wheel, make sure to check which spline type you have on the column. Around 1978 there was a switch to a wider spline, and older parts won't fit it. I'm assuming yours is wide-spline, because the W126 was wide-spline too.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rparker

Quote from: ptashek on 07 April 2022, 07:29 AMThat's not a W116 wheel for sure. Too thick and the pad is off. Doesn't look out of place though IMO.

I haven't seen many pads for sale on their own. Easier to sell the whole steering wheel, and not be stuck with one or the other part ;)

When buying a W116 steering wheel, make sure to check which spline type you have on the column. Around 1978 there was a switch to a wider spline, and older parts won't fit it. I'm assuming yours is wide-spline, because the W126 was wide-spline too.

Yup thanks, I was thinking the same, however this steering has still got a lot of "knurling" in the rim and is almost new thus my hesitancy to change it over too, but also contrasts against my like for the original ribbed pad. Also, thanks for the note on the spline sizes, good knowledge. Let's see if any other member has tried this steering convert, may open the door to those looking for meatier grips too.

Cheers.
77' W116 280S, 4-Speed Manual

dima

Pillows for 116 and 126 Mercedes are not interchangeable, but the 126 steering wheel is much more comfortable when landing for you with a smaller diameter of only 41 cm, the original 116 steering wheel is 43 cm larger.