News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Spinning Gear Lever Knob

Started by WGB, 16 April 2007, 09:08 AM

WGB

My Gear lever knob spins freely on the chrome shaft and has resisted any attempt to inject adhesive between knob and metal shaft. The bottom end is held firmly and I have replaced the worn bushes.

Bentley's Mercedes-Benz Technical Companion page 122 states that the knob on a 1970 280SE can be removed by wrapping it with a rag, holding it tight with a crescent adjustable spanner (Wrench for our US comrades) and then striking the wrench upwards with a hammer.

Then pushing the knob back on with superglue inside.

Before I attempt to totally stuff my gear-lever does anyone know if the same holds true for a 116.

Bill

gregdeklerk

Bill, are you able to lift the knob off the shaft? I have not heard of it being able to move freely!!

WGB

I have never tried to lift it.

I was reading the Bentley manual to look for a diagnostic chart for the guy who couldn't select reverse and stumbled on it.

I have two levers - one knob is worn and one looks newish but both spin on the shaft.

Bill

gregdeklerk

I always thought they were firmly glued on. I only asked if you could lift it because that would make it easier to glue on.

WGB

It doesn't appear to move vertically by hand but the Bentley procedure looks like it will remove it.

I was just checking to see if I was going to wreak more havoc.

Bill

oscar

I say sacrifice it WGB.  Disect it up so we can see how the shaft is attached to the gearknob, then buy yourself a wooden one.
Whadaya say?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

Quote from: oscar on 16 April 2007, 09:48 AM
I say sacrifice it WGB.  Disect it up so we can see how the shaft is attached to the gearknob, then buy yourself a wooden one.
Whadaya say?

He said he has one spare! ;D

oscar

Yeah but both are kaput or so I thought.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

The good doctor will disect the one to learn how to repair the other. ;D

OzBenzHead

My woody knob will turn but shows no sign of lifting off the stalk.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

WGB

I'll try to remove the older one first and see what happens.

From the Bentley Manual it appears to be press fitted onto the end of the chrome stalk and must have some internal shape to stop it turning.

Personally - I quite like the soft feel knob on most occasions and will reserve the "woody" for later. ;D

Bill

WGB

Too busy sanding... sanding... sanding...

The paintings fun but the sanding.... Oh God.

My knob remains a work in progress.

The one in the car is in good external nick and I have another one which I originally removed from my car when I replaced the bushes.

Will try with this one - first chance I get.

Bill