News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Specification plate **need help to identify the codes

Started by Youcef W116, 10 September 2021, 08:37 AM

Youcef W116

Hi Dears ,

I am trying to understant and read the specifications of my w116 280se , but i am not able to really understand all the codes and their meaning , for example the color should 735 Metallic gray , but the supplier of the paint is saying that it's a clear metallic gray .....really not sure as i can see that some parts of the cars contain the original paint and its a dark gray metallic . Also, about the car specification , some of my Friends are saying that it's black leather some else is saying it's clother Gris ....ect .

I would really appreciate if someone can read the specifications ( attached pics)of my cars and help me to rebuild it in original specs plz .My VIN number is 11602410086619   

Thanks in advance and best Regards,
Youcef

rumb

https://www.w116.org/tech/colors/

735 is Astral silver, which your picture looks like.

https://www.w116.org/tech/codes/

This will show option codes.

The interior material will only show on the data card if you have that.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

UTn_boy

Some of the option codes shown on RUMB's link are incorrect for W116 cars.  The same option code meant different things throughout the years.  Your option codes are as follows:

220: Rear door contacts (this means there was a rear dome lamp for the rear seat area)
465: Rear fog lamp, and instrumentation letters/numbers in instrument cluster in English
584: Electric window lifters, front and rear
592: Green heat absorbing absorbing glass all around with filter band atop the windshield
629: Version for France
638: Elimination of warning triangle from rear deck lid
877: Reading lamps in the rear (Map lights on the inside of the "C" pillars)

Your paint code of 735 is exactly what Rumb said....it's ASTRAL SILVER METALLIC.  During this time, metallic paints were a two part application.  The base color coat and the top clear coat.  So that is what the suplier means by it being a "clear" metallic paint.  It only means the paint is a base coat/clear coat type paint.  Commonly known in Europe as a 2K (Zwei Komponent, or 2k) paint. 

The metal plate you show in your picture doesn't tell us much more other than it being a 280se with a standard shift transmission.  The numbers at the top are production number, line asembly number, and other numbers that have very little meaning to us or the car.

As RUMB stated correctly, if you want to know anything about the interior you'll have to find the data card (usually in the owners manual packet or on a paper tag under one of the seats).  If none of that is present, then you'l have to contact Mercedes Classic in Germany to acquire a copy of the data card.  They charge around 130 Euros for the copy, and require the VIN and proof of ownership.
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

floyd111

when/why would anyone ask for the warning triangle to be deleted, I wonder?

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 14 September 2021, 02:52 AM
when/why would anyone ask for the warning triangle to be deleted, I wonder?

Same reason people didn't opt for rear seatbelts - it wasn't required in their target market.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

UTn_boy

I always thought, and still do to a large degree, that the reason for the elimination of things like the warning triangle and fire extinguisher was due in part to the idiots here in the U.S. that were running things at the time.  In all seriousness, how in the hell could anyone not see the benefit of the extra safety when it comes to a warning triangle and a fire extinguisher? 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Type17

Quote from: UTn_boy on 15 September 2021, 02:42 AM
I always thought, and still do to a large degree, that the reason for the elimination of things like the warning triangle and fire extinguisher was due in part to the idiots here in the U.S. that were running things at the time.  In all seriousness, how in the hell could anyone not see the benefit of the extra safety when it comes to a warning triangle and a fire extinguisher?

It's always cost - many countries have high import taxes on motor vehicles, and adding anything to the car (say an item that costs the manufacturer $10) does not just raise the retail price by $10 - every $ added at manufacture adds up to $2-$3 to the retail price (and yes, even on safety equipment).
As a result, many cars are bare-bones versions of what they could be - in Ireland, vehicle taxes make up over half of the cost of most vehicles, and in the 90's (before EU rules mandated it) many cars came without ABS, ESP, warning triangles, fog lights, first-aid kits, repeater flashers on the fenders, etc. That's before you think of non-safety options such as A/C, alloys, leather, etc.
I remember that, on a 2004 Golf I used to own, the factory-fit Satnav was a £600 (~$770) option in the UK, but in Ireland it was €2,500 (~$2,920) extra.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green