News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Speaker mount depth?

Started by CMS, 06 April 2023, 11:20 AM

CMS

G'day,

I'm researching a new stereo system for the 450 I've just bought.
The car's not arrived yet, so can't do the measurements myself and searching don't yield much info. 

I understand there's some restrictions in the types of speakers that will fit and I want to know the maximum depth of the speaker mounts on the front dash and rear parcel shelf.

Example:

Front forward facing 4" speaker depth = XXmm

Rear parcel shelf 5.25" speaker depth = XXmm

Thanks,
Chris
1974 W116 450SE - Current
1976 W116 280SE - Retired
1969 W108 280S - Retired
1971 W108 280SE - Retired

raueda1

Is yours the early style with small grill down low?  Or newer where it's on top of dash?  If the former you need a VERY small speaker.  I can't recall dimensions but it had a tough time finding one that fit, and then it took a lot of fiddling.  My car is at another site but in the next few days I'll take a look.  The rear speaker is less troublesome.  Depth is limited by the top of the gas tank.  Unless you get something with an absolutely gigantic magnet you ought to be ok.  I installed a free-field Pioneer subwoofer in the first aid box cut out, likely bigger than what you'd put in the stock cut-outs.  No problem, sounds great.  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

CMS

Quote from: raueda1 on 07 April 2023, 07:05 PMIs yours the early style with small grill down low?  Or newer where it's on top of dash?  If the former you need a VERY small speaker.  I can't recall dimensions but it had a tough time finding one that fit, and then it took a lot of fiddling.  My car is at another site but in the next few days I'll take a look.  The rear speaker is less troublesome.  Depth is limited by the top of the gas tank.  Unless you get something with an absolutely gigantic magnet you ought to be ok.  I installed a free-field Pioneer subwoofer in the first aid box cut out, likely bigger than what you'd put in the stock cut-outs.  No problem, sounds great.  Cheers,

Mine has the front speakers down low, facing the driver and passenger. From what I understand, there shouldn't be any clearance issues with a 4" speaker.

Like you mentioned, there are clearance issues in the rear shelf, due to the fuel tank. Most 5.25" speakers have a depth of 48mm an I wondered if they'll fit.

Cheers
Chris
1974 W116 450SE - Current
1976 W116 280SE - Retired
1969 W108 280S - Retired
1971 W108 280SE - Retired