News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

"Smoked" rear lenses

Started by WGB, 03 October 2007, 08:40 AM

WGB

Looking at the photograph that I have used for my avatar it appears that the rear lenses are "smoked" i.e. dark grey.

They are not - they just look like that in the photo.

Mercedesshop.com has several threads that talk about spraying rear taillamp clusters with clear lacquer darkened with a light addition of black colour to produce this effect.

Anyone any experience with doing this or any other comments for or against.

I think the effect would suit the colour of the car with the dark windows but I don't have a spare old unusable rear light to practice on.

Nathan? - have you got a SNAFU light lying around - fit for junk - that I could practice on.

Bill

nathan

im sure i do have a crappy one bill - but you can come and get it (its 50 bucks in a 6.9 to either of our houses - maybe we meet in the middle!)...two mates have done that laquer stuff to their cars...doesnt interest me but i can find out which spray they used...
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

WGB

Thanks Nathan,

I don't think it is high on my present agenda - just a passing thought - but the next time we meet maybe you would be gracious enough to stick an old one in the boot or else I could motor over in my econo-car ML500 ;D

I haven't forgotton the offer of a "WA Shed Day" or a "Weld and Shoot" meet that I made earlier.

Bill

nathan

Bill,
some important study to be done until nov 5 ,but after that i shall be free !
now that iu mention it, ill start another post about a 116 meet!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

WGB

Ok Nathan,

Best of luck with whatever exams you have.

November would be better for me as well.

Bill

500eguy

Bill, i have smoked some lights and lenses with that clear spray and it does come out very good! i would recommend doing it, a very cheap and easy mod:)

WGB

Thanks for the info Johnny,

Bill

Des

Is this spraying witchcraft to produce the same affect as tinting the tail lights?

I have seen plenty of idiot commodore drivers with their tail lights like this, apart from being illegal it makes your tail lights harder to see and easier for someone to run up your rear.

???

Big_Richard

Quote from: Des on 06 October 2007, 03:53 AM

I have seen plenty of idiot commodore drivers with their tail lights like this, apart from being illegal it makes your tail lights harder to see and easier for someone to run up your rear.

One less bombadore of any description on the road isn't really a bad thing, who really cares?... We have the same trend over here and i agree, all it achieves is a greater likelihood of a rear end collision, and considering its illegal the ramifications could be interesting.

all smoked tail lights do for a w116, or any old car, is give the impression that the engine is fucked, because they look hazed over from a smokey engine.

Des

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 06 October 2007, 04:20 AM

all smoked tail lights do for a w116, or any old car, is give the impression that the engine is fucked, because they look hazed over from a smokey engine.

funny the things you remember when triggered, I remember having to wipe black "crap" off the tail lights of an old datsun 200B I used to drive,

WGB

The problem is once you start modifying there is a creative urge that takes over.

This is very common among the Porsche fraternity where the original car is only the starting point but among M-B's originality is more important.

The gray colour of the car and the dark windows make the thought of darkening the tail-lights a possibility.

Thanks for the comments.

Bill

Ryan1980

Bill im not sure if they still sell it but theres some spray that comes in a can for tinting tail lights. It's called 'night shades'
they used to sell it at repco, super cheap etc. not sure if they still do, i brought some years ago.

Ryan

SELfor50

One of my mate's picked up a 1985 BMW E28 528i for $500.
He fixed the engine, painted it black and got the tinted lights for it....though...he got them from Germany and paid f*kn HEAPS for them!  (Though from Germany was cheaper than from here apparently).

In saying that though, they looked F*KN GREAT!!!  At nighttime the car looked mad fukn gangsta.  On silver I would look even better.  As you said bill, light colour silver paint with tinted windows and tinted tail-lights... i reckon do it up!

Cam.  8)

Yesmar

Yeah my left tail light appears to be very very lightly smoked and my right one is very clear dont know what i like better yet.   by the way you cant tell unless you know what your looking for
- Ramsey

s class

THe left rear lens can often look slightly smoked, but it is usually an accumulation of soot from the exhaust. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL