News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Slow windows

Started by alabbasi, 01 December 2006, 12:29 PM

alabbasi

I recently purchased a new window regulator for the drivers side window of my 6.9 as my drivers side window would be extremely slow would jump (pop) on it's way down as if the regulator was broken.

Upon removing the door panel, I quickly found that there must be a technique that's unknown to me on how to remove the regular and motor from the window with the track in place. No matter what I did, I could not move the track out of the way enough to remove the regulator.

That said, it wasn't a total failure as I saw that the movement from window was a result of the regulator not being mounted correctly. It was mounted in a bent position and was missing one bolt and another bolt was not the correct type that should be on the car as it did not have the built in washer. Using the correct bolts that I picked up from a junk yard for my W108 stopped the regulator from moving around. I then cleaned the tracks using brake cleaner that helped smooth the motion. But it was still running slow. I found that there is some adjustments that can be done to the regulator where it bolts to the window.

By loosening and letting the regulator lower and sit in the lowest position, everything lined up correctly and the window began to move up and down quickly.

I then sprayed some white lithium grease over the tracks on the regulator cogs to make sure that everything is well lubricated. The new regulator is going to go on eBay with a bunch of other misc MB parts this week. For anyone who has slow windows on a w116, make sure you check the adjustment on the regulator arm before throwing money on parts.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

s class

alabassi,

Good to see you back here.  I'm sure many will be interested in this advice.  Recently there was another thread about how slow everyone's windows are. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL