News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Sill trim rubbers and clips

Started by Scotty, 01 September 2018, 01:18 AM

Scotty

Hello All

My 280 SEL has tried to rid itself  of the sill trim, as the plastic lugs (or whatever they're called) and the rubbers behind the chrome/aluminium strip have perished and are not holding the sill strip on.

Am I right in assuming the SEL trims are longer and who can suggest a good place to get them?

My thanks in advance

Scotty

Randys01

Most replacements to day for are the longer variant to cater for std and lwb variants. They are still avail from your local MB. Spare parts.
The nasty little clips that hold the sill rubbers on...internal and external maybe a  challenge.

MB Spares in Canberra is getting out of the spares game but they may have oem stock.

Finally, the MB Classic Centre in USA will have them.

Work on about 60 bux a piece plus clips plus freight.

I have found it to be a cow of a job. :'( ...work slowly and surely and use plastic tools and plenty of lubricant.

Scotty

I have found it to be a cow of a job. :'( ...work slowly and surely and use plastic tools and plenty of lubricant.

First thanks for the reply. I too think it won't be easy, but I want to explore the possibility of using snap in clips (removal by a fork arrangement of some kind). I have viewed cars  that have had the strip simply screwed on from the outside, an option I won't countenance, however quick a solution.

I knew about MB Spares (going out of spares) , but will try them anyway. Thanks for the reference to the US outfit. Shopping time !!

My sill trim isn't perfect but I'd like it to look as good as it can.

Again, thanks

rumb

I found them easy to remove with a wide plastic tool and a quick twist/pop to get them off.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Wessel Badenhorst

Hi Scotty

Were you able to get the plastic clips that fasten the sill to the car?

Mine are damaged / gone and I need new ones to secure the trim again.

A part number would be a great help.

thanks.
1979 280S Silver Green Metallic
1991 500SE Astral Silver Metallic

Scotty

No, the job hasn't been done yet, but it's going off for a service soon so when it's all done I'll report back. Currently the trim is held in place with some rather unattractive yellow tape. Mrs Scotty has been using the car only locally so it hasn't been mentioned as an issue (meaning I've ignored it). My local MB guy has some new clips spirited away somewhere I'm told.

Scotty

Wessel Badenhorst

1979 280S Silver Green Metallic
1991 500SE Astral Silver Metallic