News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Shadowlining

Started by Nutz, 01 February 2010, 04:29 PM

Nutz

Anyone here do theirs?

I started with mine, but I'm not sure if I should use flat black (which I currently started with) or semi-gloss/satin.

I'm sure a couple of you guys are squirming, but fact of the matter is my chrome is far from show quality. Many scratches in the surfaces around door windows particularly, and the rear bumper over-riders are pitted. Being in my remote location makes it very difficult to acquire replacements. Plus I want to be different from the rest of the crowd ;)

s class

I think flat black is truer to the original '80's styling, but flat black isn't as durable or maintenance friendly as satin. 

I'm impressed you are going for this.  Not to everyone's taste, sure, but it takes balls, and I think its for that reason as much as any other that people are impressed with the finished results.

I can sympathise with the reasoning about the tatty bright work - I have considered painting my blue 6.9 black, and blacking out all the bright work.  Not sure if I have what it takes though . Please show us pics of the finished article.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

flutes

How far are you going with it Nutz?  All outside chrome?  Put me in the squirming camp but I'd think matte black would look better, but my god, you're going to be doing a lot of touch-ups!  Would love to see photos of your results.
Matt
1977 450SEL

Nutz

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Movin' along, trim removed. Pleasantly surprised that the area is rust free where trim attaches.

oscar

Looking good nutz.  Nice contrast.  I think the more and more I saw pics of AMG w123s with blackened chrome I began to like the look.  Close up I reckon satin would have a better appearance but more importantly, I never thought about chipping of the paint and touchups.  That could be a nightmare if not prepped properly. The only other option would be to have the parts annodised black but costly no doubt and it too will wear or fade after a number of years.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

Some people would question my sanity, but I like it.  8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Nutz

I'm using an adhesion promoter designed for aircraft, PPG high build primer, and PPG flat black to keep it hanging on.

Well, I have my batch ready. Definitely have my work cut out for me.

Nutz

Anyone know if AMG's used the same basic grill badge, or was the blue actually black? I searched all over the net, but couldn't find a decent closeup of a true AMG.

oscar

Quote from: Nutz on 01 February 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm using an adhesion promoter designed for aircraft, PPG high build primer, and PPG flat black to keep it hanging on.

Sounds perfect 8)

Quote from: Nutz on 01 February 2010, 09:15 PM
Anyone know if AMG's used the same basic grill badge, or was the blue actually black? I searched all over the net, but couldn't find a decent closeup of a true AMG.

Did you check mforcer's pics in this album below?  The couple of pics I saw in there show the badge washed out from maybe the camera flash or maybe they're plain.   
NB All pics are super zoomable and high res if you click on the zoom button below each pic in the center.  Then click the top right corner to zoom and use a scroll mouse to zoom in and out.  Intersting to note the appearance of its brightwork.  Looks as glossy as the rest of the car. 

http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/classic_centre/CIMG0430.jpg/
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Nutz

Thanks oscar. I zoomed on it and it looks like it's the regular color. Also those photos saved me from having to start a new thread on a chin spoiler. I have a friend who is a 'board shaper' that's going to make me a replica, but I didn't have very many angles available. Will fire up the AutoCAD after I'm done with this project and possible bug one of you guys for some fine measurements ;)

Progress but it's too dark for photos.

Rear bumper, rear over-rider, front grill,  rear trim under boot and trim on corners of bonnet primed. Bumpers and front over-rider if I have time tonight.

Nutz

s class

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Nutz

Too much humidity today to paint :( I'll just continue removing trim for the time being.

Need to get 2 complete sets of horizontal trim on grill insert and 1 piece of vertical to make an avantgarde style grill. Also need to address the rust starting to form in the bumper mounting area with some POR15.

Yesmar

thats going to look sweet
- Ramsey

Nutz